abc.net.au

Netanyahu moves to sack intelligence chief after accusing him of 'blackmail'

Benjamin Netanyahu moves to sack Israel's intelligence chief, accusing him of 'blackmail' campaign

By Middle East correspondent Matthew Doran

Topic:Unrest, Conflict and War

17m ago17 minutes agoMon 17 Mar 2025 at 12:37am

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a news conference.

Tension between Mr Netanyahu and Mr Bar has been simmering for months. (AP: Evan Vucci)

In short:

Benjamin Netanyahu said he planned to sack the top domestic spy, days after accusing him of waging a "blackmail" campaign against the prime minister along with his predecessor.

Mr Netanyahu had been pressuring Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar to quit for months, according to Israeli media

What's next?

The cabinet vote on whether to sack Mr Bar is expected on Wednesday.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has announced moves to oust the head of the nation's domestic intelligence agency, citing "a distrust that has grown over time" between the pair.

The extraordinary move comes days after Mr Netanyahu accused Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar and his predecessor of waging a "blackmail" campaign against him.

Tension between Mr Netanyahu and Mr Bar has been simmering for months, according to Israeli media, as the Prime Minister's office tries to lay total blame for Hamas's deadly attacks on October 7, 2023 at the feet of intelligence and Defence officials.

Mr Bar had reportedly pledged to step down as the head of the Israel Security Agency (ISA), referred to as Shin Bet, once all remaining Israeli hostages were returned by Hamas.

Fifty-nine remain in Gaza, with 35 believed to be dead.

In a video statement on Sunday night, Mr Netanyahu said the prime minister "must have full confidence in the head of the Shin Bet" as Israel faced an "existential war".

"But unfortunately, the situation is the opposite — I do not have such confidence," he said.

"I have ongoing distrust in the head of the Shin Bet. A distrust that has grown over time.

"Due to this ongoing distrust, I have decided this week to bring to the government a proposal for a resolution to terminate the position of the head of the Shin Bet."

It is expected Israel's security cabinet will vote on the move on Wednesday.

"I would like to clarify — I am full of appreciation for the women and men of the Shin Bet," Mr Netanyahu said.

"They do dedicated and important work for the security of all of us.

"As the prime minister in charge of the Shin Bet, I am certain that this step is necessary for the restoration of the organisation, for achieving all of our war goals, and for preventing the next disaster."

Netanyahu labels current and former spy chiefs of 'mafia-style' threats

A key part of Shin Bet's responsibilities is monitoring the activity of Palestinian militant and terrorist groups, and there has been significant criticism of the agency's failings in the lead-up to October 7, 2023.

Hamas's attacks on Israel killed around 1,200 people and led to 251 being taken hostage.

There have been multiple investigations into the actions of intelligence and Defence officials in the lead-up to the deadly day, which was the catalyst for the war in Gaza.

In recent weeks, the head of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has also been replaced.

Shin Bet had been involved in the ceasefire and hostage negotiations, along with Israel's international spy agency Mossad — but the agencies had been sidelined in recent weeks.

Last week, Ronen Bar's predecessor, Nadav Agraman, gave an explosive interview to Israel's Channel 12.

Mr Agraman claimed he had a huge amount of damaging information about Mr Netanyahu, which he would make public if he believed the prime minister ever broke the law.

In response to the interview, Mr Netanyahu said: "Another dangerous red line for Israeli democracy was crossed.

"Never, in the entire history of Israeli and in the entire history of democracies, has the former head of the Shin Bet carried out live blackmail threats against a sitting prime minister," he posted on social media platform X.

"This crime joins a whole campaign of blackmail with threats through media briefings in recent days, conducted by the current head of the Shin Bet, Ronen Bar."

The prime minister accused the two men of trying to stop him rebuilding the organisation.

"Let it be clear — mafia-style criminal threats will not deter me," Mr Netanyahu said.

His lawyers later referred the interview to police for investigation.

Posted17m ago17 minutes agoMon 17 Mar 2025 at 12:37am

Copy link

Facebook

X (formerly Twitter)

Read full news in source page