dailynk.com

Border control tightens as N. Korea declares war on Chinese mobile technology

An aerial view of downtown Sinuiju taken from the Chinese side of the border. (Wikimedia Commons)

The North Korean authorities have launched a sweeping crackdown after declaring a “war to exterminate users of Chinese-made mobile phones.” This harsh language reflects how seriously the regime views the threat of information flowing across its borders.

“Late last month, the Ministry of State Security ordered local branches along the border to ‘exterminate users of Chinese-made mobile phones,'” a Daily NK source in North Pyongan province said recently. “Since the order, local Ministry of State Security branches have stepped up their crackdowns.”

This new campaign follows intensive inspections already conducted from January to mid-February across border regions in North Pyongan, Jagang, Ryanggang and North Hamgyong provinces. The resumption of crackdowns less than two weeks later is unusual and signals heightened concern from authorities.

North Korean officials view these phones as dangerous conduits for outside information and tools for smuggling and money transfers. In February alone, Ministry of State Security enforcement squads arrested approximately 80 people along the border, according to a source in Ryanggang province.

“Security agents are running around everywhere on the border to arrest users of Chinese-made mobile phones,” the source said. “Agents are also examining call and text records while cracking down hard on users this time, so even people who used to broker remittances are nervous.”

The source described the case of a man named Kim from Sinuiju who was arrested on March 1. Though he had suspended his activities as a remittance broker late last year, security agents discovered his past role in delivering money from South Korean defectors to their North Korean relatives and facilitating video calls between them.

“Security agents are cracking down on Chinese-made mobile phones so hard you can’t compare it with the past,” the source said. “Because they arrest you if they find even a single remittance on your phone, everyone who used to handle money transfers is in hiding.”

Investigations have also intensified. While previous detentions for mobile phone use typically lasted 10-20 days before transfer to police or release, current detainees are held for over a month. “The government seems determined to create a world without Chinese-made mobile phones this year,” the source added.

The Ministry of State Security has demanded real results rather than performative probes, even threatening local branches with demerits if their crackdowns prove ineffective.

“With orders for intensive crackdowns coming from the highest levels, everyone is on edge—not just the phone users but even the security agents themselves,” the source said. “These agents have been ramping up the severity of their operations knowing they’ll face serious repercussions if they don’t deliver arrests and confiscations.”

Read in Korean

Read full news in source page