Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Manchester United are looking to the summer to improve their squad while some players are set to leave
Manchester United head into the international break on a high after beating Leicester City 3-0 at the King Power Stadium on Sunday evening. The fixture kicked off at the unusual time of 7pm, with the broadcast timing of the Carabao Cup final pushing the United game back into the late evening.
Ruben Amorim’s side made little fuss of beating the Foxes, who look set to be relegated alongside Ipswich Town and Southampton. Rasmus Hojlund finally ended his wait for a goal as he found the net on 28 minutes. In the second half, Alejandro Garnacho scored on 67 minutes before Bruno Fernandes put the icing on the cake with a goal in the 90th minute.
It ended a positive week for United, who had drawn 1-1 with Arsenal in their previous Premier League game before booking their spot in the Europa League quarter-finals with a 5-2 aggregate win over La Liga side Real Sociedad in the round of 16.
Romano gives Fernandes future update
In his latest newsletter for GiveMeSport, Fabrizio Romano was asked about Bruno Fernandes’ future at United. He responded: “He signed a new deal 8 months ago as he trusts the project and he's a key player for Ruben Amorim. He's so important for United and he's staying.”
The link to sign up for Romano’s newsletter can be found here, with the journalist’s responses to questions emailed out to subscribers.
Fernandes’ importance to United is evident with his goal contributions. He has scored 16 times while providing 15 assists in all competitions. After the win over Sociedad - in which Fernandes scored a hat-trick - manager Ruben Amorim said: "When we need it, he is always there. He can bring the ball forward. He can score goals. He is a perfect captain for our team and we need to help him win titles."
Fernandes turned down offer to leave
Just last week, Fernandes revealed he had been subject of an offer to leave the club. He revealed he held internal talks about the possibility of leaving but after those discussions he was committed to staying. He penned a new deal at the club in August, it runs until 2027 which added an additional 12 months to his previous contract which was due to expire in 2026.
"I sat with the club because I had an offer to leave," he said. "We talked about the possibility of me leaving the club or staying. They said what they wanted from me. I just asked if they still see me as part of the future of the club or not. I spoke at the time with (Erik) Ten Hag also.
"He was very clear with me, the club was very clear with me, that they thought I would be a big part of this rebuild. I thought that we could be successful."
In other news, this is how much Manchester United need to sell Antony for this summer after more Real Betis heroics.