nottinghampost.com

'Approach' made for Nottingham Forest player as Nuno faces summer reshuffle

An approach has been made for Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Carlos Miguel ahead of the summer transfer window, it has been claimed.

The 26-year-old moved to the City Ground from Corinthians last summer but has made just three appearances for the Reds so far. As back-up to No.1 Matz Sels his game time has been limited to cup outings, although he is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury.

Amid his lack of game time, Brazilian publication RTI Esporte report Miguel could be set for a return to his native Brazil. Cruzerio are said to have made an “approach to Miguel” last Thursday, but the talks have “not evolved into a negotiation”.

Cruzerio’s board of directors are said to have contacted Miguel’s representatives with a view to understanding his situation at Forest. The Brazilian’s agent, Gilmar Veloz, reportedly made clear the player is “happy” Trentside but a return to his homeland in the summer has not been ruled out.

The report adds Miguel’s future is uncertain and he also has admirers in Europe. Cruzerio boss Leonardo Jardim is said to consider the Reds man “one of the best Brazilian goalkeepers” plying their trade abroad and recommended him to executive director of football Alexandre Mattos.

Get breaking Forest news sent direct to your phone

Join our Nottingham Forest WhatsApp group and get the latest breaking news, interviews and opinion sent straight to your phone, plus matchday team news and live updates of all the action. Just click here and select ‘Join Community’ to get started. The only proviso is that you must have WhatsApp on your phone to participate. No one will be able to see your personal information and you will only receive messages from the NottinghamshireLive Reds writers.

We will not spam your WhatsApp feed with constant messages, but you will receive updates from us daily with the latest Reds stories. If you later decide to opt out, just go to the name at the top of your screen and click 'Exit Group'. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions and adverts from us and our partners. If you are curious, you can click here to read our Privacy Notice.

Miguel has been out of action since February, when he sustained his injury against Exeter City in the FA Cup. He was replaced by Sels on the hour as Forest went on to progress to the next round courtesy of a penalty shootout.

Since then, Wayne Hennessey has been back-up to Sels on the bench. But rather than turn to the Welshman against Ipswich Town in the fifth round of the cup, Nuno stuck with his first-choice stopper between the posts.

The Reds will likely assess their goalkeeping options in the summer. Hennessey's contract expires then and he has an offer to join Wales Under-21s' coaching set-up.

Miguel's deal runs until the summer of 2028 while Sels is tied down until 2027. The club will have a decision to make on Matt Turner at the end of the season when he returns from a loan spell at Crystal Palace.

Should Forest sell Miguel in the summer? Click HERE to have your say

Read full news in source page