**JERUSALEM**
With his dismissal taking effect on Wednesday following expected Cabinet approval, Ronen Bar, the head of Israel’s Shin Bet internal security service, will become the 7th top military and security official to lose his position in the post-October 2023 period.
On Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would dismiss Bar, citing “a lack of trust.”
Once his dismissal takes effect on Wednesday, Bar will be the second highest official in Israel to have been sacked by Netanyahu after the premier fired his former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant last November.
Tensions between Netanyahu and the Shin Bet have escalated following the agency’s internal investigation into the Oct. 7, 2023 attack by the Palestinian group Hamas. Netanyahu dismissed the report’s findings, saying they failed to answer key questions.
Bar has led the Shin Bet since 2021 and took part in the Israeli wars in Gaza and Lebanon through which his agency was responsible for carrying out assassinations in both areas.
While other military and security officials who left their positions took responsibility for the failure to confront the Hamas attack, Netanyahu continues to refuse to admit responsibility, prompting the opposition to demand his resignation.
Here are the top Israeli officials who lost their positions in the aftermath of the Oct. 7 attack.
**Oded Basiuk**
Maj. Gen. Oded Basiuk, chief of the Israeli army's Operations Directorate, resigned on March 4, 2025, after investigations found serious failures during the Oct.7 attack.
According to a military probe, Basiuk’s unit failed to build an accurate picture of the attack in real time or deploy troops to the right locations.
Oded's position is the third in the Israeli army's command hierarchy after the army's chief and his deputy.
**Herzi Halevi**
Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi, the Israeli army's chief of staff, first announced his intention to resign on Jan. 21 and stepped down in early March.
Halevi acknowledged his responsibility for the military’s failure on Oct. 7.
**Yaron Finkelman**
Maj. Gen. Yaron Finkelman, head of the military’s Southern Command, announced his resignation on Jan. 21.
In his resignation letter, Finkelman said his failure to defend southern Israel on Oct. 7 “will be etched into me for the rest of my life.”
**Yoav Gallant**
Netanyahu dismissed Defense Minister Yoav Gallant on Nov. 5, 2024.
The Israeli premier cited “a lack of trust” with Gallant and differences over the conduct of the war for his decision to remove him, putting a loyalist, Israel Katz, in his place.
**Avi Rosenfeld**
Brig. Gen. Avi Rosenfeld, commander of the Israeli army’s Gaza Division, announced his resignation on June 9, 2024, citing his failure to protect Israeli military bases and settlements during the Oct. 7 attack.
“On October 7, I failed in my lifetime mission to protect the Gaza border communities,” Rosenfeld said.
**Aharon Haliva**
Maj. Gen. Aharon Haliva, head of the army's military intelligence, resigned in April 2024, saying his directorate had not lived up to its mission on Oct. 7.
“I carry that black day with me ever since, day after day, night after night. I will carry the horrible pain of the war with me forever,” he said in his resignation letter.
A ceasefire and prisoner exchange agreement has been in place in Gaza since Jan. 19, pausing Israel’s brutal military campaign that has killed more than 48,500 people, mostly women and children, and left the enclave in ruins.
The International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants in November last year for Netanyahu and Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.
Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice for its war on the enclave.
[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)