US President Donald Trump stands in the presidential box as he tours the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, on March 17, 2025. Trump was appointed chairman of the Kennedy Center on February 12, 2025, as a new board of trustees loyal to the US president brought his aggressive rightwing, anti-"woke" stamp to Washington's premier arts venue. (Photo by Jim WATSON / AFP) (Photo by JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images)
President Donald Trump stands in the presidential box as he tours the John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, on Monday (Picture: Getty Images)
President Donald Trump has announced that 80,000 pages of unredacted files on ex-President John F Kennedy’s assassination will be released tomorrow.
Trump broke the news on the much-anticipated release of the files as reporters toured the John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, on Monday.
‘While we’re here, I thought it would be appropriate – we are, tomorrow, announcing and giving all of the Kennedy files,’ he said.
‘So, people have been waiting for decades for this, and I’ve instructed my people… lots of different people, (director of national intelligence) Tulsi Gabbard, that they must be released tomorrow.’
U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the media after attending a board meeting at the Kennedy Center, in Washington, D.C., U.S., March 17, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
President Donald Trump speaks to the media after attending a board meeting at the Kennedy Center, in Washington, DC (Picture: Reuters)
Trump called the to-be-released files ‘interesting’.
‘You got a lot of reading,’ he said.
‘I don’t believe we’re going to redact anything. I said, “just don’t redact, you can’t redact.”‘
When asked if he has read the files, Trump said he has ‘heard about them’.
U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the media after attending a board meeting at the Kennedy Center, in Washington, D.C., U.S., March 17, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
President Donald Trump told reporters that about 80,000 JFK files will be released on Tuesday (Picture: Reuters)
‘I’m not doing summaries, you’ll write your own summary,’ he said.
Trump signed an executive order in January directing the director of national intelligence and the attorney general to provide a plan for the ‘full and complete release of records relating to the assassination of President John F Kennedy’ within 15 days.
He promised on the campaign trail last year that he would order the declassification of all remaining documents on the assassination.
‘I said during the campaign I’d do it, and I’m a man of my word,’ he said on Monday.
Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.
For more stories like this, check ournews page.
Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.
MORE: FBI releases new dossier on DB Cooper case that sparked wild conspiracy theories
MORE: Conor McGregor wraps arms around Trump after anti-immigration White House rant
MORE: Donald Trump directly threatens Iran with ‘dire consequences’ in new post
Breaking News
Never miss the biggest stories with breaking news alerts in your inbox.