newarab.com

Israel launches intense airstrikes on Gaza killing dozens

Israel launched a series of "extensive strikes" across Gaza early Tuesday morning, killing dozens of Palestinians and collapsing the recent ceasefire.

Israeli forces said it had targeted sites in Gaza City, Deir al-Balah, Khan Younis, and Rafah, marking the most significant military operation in Gaza since the fragile ceasefire began on January 19.

Medics and local witnesses reported that more than 44 people have been killed, including women and children in a major escalation of its war on the enclave.

The latest round of Israeli airstrikes has already resulted in significant civilian casualties. In Gaza City, medics reported that at least eight people, including children, were killed when their homes were bombed.

أكثر من 35 غارة جوية إسرائيلية على غزة خلال النصف ساعة الأخيرة، وطواقم الإسعاف والدفاع المدني تواجه صعوبة في إخلاء الشهداء والجرحى. pic.twitter.com/gCRH0kW9Je

— أنس الشريف Anas Al-Sharif (@AnasAlSharif0) March 18, 2025

The Palestinian Civil Emergency Service confirmed that Israel carried out separate airstrikes across the Gaza Strip. This wave of violence comes after an already difficult humanitarian situation in Gaza, which has been exacerbated by Israel's blockade and its refusal to lift restrictions on vital aid supplies.

Following the deadly attack, Hamas said Israel '"decided to overturn the ceasefire agreement" in a released statement on Tuesday.

The strike follows the breakdown of indirect negotiations between Israel and Hamas, which had hoped to extend the ceasefire. The initial ceasefire, brokered by international mediators, had been in place since January 19, but talks for its extension have since faltered.

The United States had pushed for a continuation of the truce to include an additional phase aimed at securing the release of hostages held by Hamas and Palestinian prisoners detained by Israel. However, disagreements between Israel and Hamas over the specifics of the deal, including the demand for the lifting of the blockade on Gaza, have led to a deadlock.

Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, along with Defence Minister Israel Katz, blamed Hamas for the collapse of the ceasefire, accusing the militant group of refusing to release Israeli hostages and rejecting US Presidential Envoy Steve Witkoff’s proposals.

According to a statement from Netanyahu’s office, Israel’s renewed military action aims to achieve "the war objectives as determined by the political leadership," which include securing the release of all hostages—both living and deceased.

Human rights groups have condemned Israel’s failure to provide humanitarian aid to Gaza, accusing Israel of violating the terms of the ceasefire. Countries like the UK, France, and Germany have all voiced their concern over the blockade and the ongoing military escalation.

This is a developing story...

Read full news in source page