After letting Sam Darnold hit the open market, and subsequently sign a $105 million deal with the Seattle Seahawks, the Minnesota Vikings are searching for a new starting quarterback.
While many expect that player to be 2024 first-round pick J.J. McCarthy, others have expressed doubt that the Vikings actually feel good about turning the keys to their offense over to an unproven 22-year-old coming off a major injury.
Enter Aaron Rodgers.
Multiple reports have indicated that Rodgers is Minnesota's No. 1 offseason target, but the 41-year-old signal-caller has gone dark since free agency started, and several insiders have stated Rodgers is slow-playing things as he decides which team he wants to play for in 2025, if any.
The Vikings are believed to be one of the front-runners to land Rodgers along with the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants, but after a recent appearance on the "Rich Eisen Show," ESPN's Jeremy Fowler all but poured cold water on any Rodgers-to-Minnesota hope Vikings fans may have had.
"The people that I've talked to with the organization have been pretty consistent with their message with me: Aaron Rodgers is possible but unlikely," Fowler said. "That's the messaging that I've gotten, so that's what I'm taking and I'm leaving room for a wild card - something crazy to happen with Rodgers. I don't expect it; I think they're ready to roll with J.J. McCarthy.
"It's very possible they're waiting on some of these dominoes to fall and figure out how much money they need to spend on a good backup so it doesn't mess up their comp pick formula because they want future draft picks."
The Vikings have a lot invested in McCarthy.
Minnesota Vikings quarterback J.J. McCarthy (9) passes against the Las Vegas Raiders in the second quarter at U.S. Bank Stadium. Brad Rempel-Imagn Images Brad Rempel-Imagn Images
They traded fourth- and fifth-round picks last year just to move up one spot in the 2024 draft to ensure they got McCarthy after rumors floated that the Denver Broncos, who were lurking one pick later, were looking to trade up and leapfrog Minnesota to get the former Michigan QB.
And while signing a veteran of Rodgers' caliber for McCarthy to sit and learn from for a year or two would likely be a big boost to his development, it shouldn't surprise anyone if the team was confident starting next season with McCarthy as the unquestioned starter either.
"All their moves, especially those two big offensive line signings says, ‘We're all in on J.J. McCarthy,'" Fowler added. "From what they've told me is he's already proven he's going to be their franchise guy, it just depends on whether it happens today, four months from today, or 12 months from today."
Related: Giants Eyeing Former First-Round QB as Potential Aaron Rodgers Backup Plan
Related: Tee Higgins' Questionable Negotiating Tactic Landed Him $114 Million Contract
Copyright 2025 Athlon Sports. All rights reserved.
This story was originally published March 17, 2025 at 7:31 PM.