manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Bajkowski: Guardiola will not change stance on Man City stars - but it can't last

Pep Guardiola manager of Manchester City instructs Jeremy Doku of Manchester City and Savinho

Jeremy Doku and Savinho receive instructions from Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola

Pep Guardiola will almost never criticise his Manchester City players in public in one of many reasons why he carries so much respect with them. What is said or done behind closed doors usually stays there and it is rare that he gives a glimpse behind the curtain.

In the last week, the City boss has insisted that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the level or confidence of Rico Lewis and Phil Foden despite their struggles. And he has maintained that the only reason Jack Grealish cannot get into his starting XI is because he is surrounded by even more brilliant options in Savinho, Jeremy Doku and the rest.

After vetoing a rebuild in the transfer market last summer, Guardiola still retains faith in the squad as a whole as well. On Friday, he restated his belief that City would be closer to challenging for the major titles had they not had so many injuries and that if they don't have those next season they shouldn't need a significantly bigger squad.

"I would expect that the main group of the team who won the Premier League again, who made 51 from the last 57 points last season, arrived to the FA Cup final - maybe we didn't arrive well prepared - arrived in the quarter-final of the Champions League where we play unbelievably against [Real] Madrid," he said.

"We presented there, they didn't shoot on target in the second half or after 10-15 minutes. So, we were good and I rely on the players. I'm sorry, what is the problem? Because I rely on the players that give me or give us or the club a lot?

"Next season - John will be there, Nathan will be fine, Manu will be fine, Rodri will recover perfectly, Oscar will be back? I don't know. [But] three more holding midfielders, seven more central defenders - it's not about that. It's just to be lucky, take the right decisions - sometimes we don't do that - and pray."

That is an entirely reasonable view to take, yet at the same time there are no guarantees on any of that. And the more City play - especially now they are down to one game a week - the smaller the chances look of normality being resumed by this current group.

Against Brighton as against Forest, there wasn't enough attacking threat and they were let down by basic defensive mistakes.

Obviously, they are still missing some key figures in the spine of their team but from the players on the pitch to those who can't get on it they do not look like the same individuals who have achieved such collective greatness in the recent past.

Asked why they are so off at the minute if it is basically the same players, Guardiola countered. "We don’t have the same players, we are not the same as the last years – and it will be different next year."

Speaking about the loss of discipline and work ethic off the ball that had caused their drop-off, the City coach stuck to his principles of not naming or blaming individuals but it was a rare occasion where he made clear that even if he has plenty of the same players from recent years they are not the same as they were.

Who City decide can return to their old selves from their new normal will go a long way to determining what success they can have next year.

Read full news in source page