liverpoolecho.co.uk

'I promise'– Alexander Isak to Liverpool transfer declaration shows what Reds face

Liverpool have been linked with a move for Newcastle star Alexander Isak in the summer transfer window, with a warning sounded about the likelihood of reaching an agreement

Comments

Sport

Newcastle United's Alexander Isak breaks past Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk

Newcastle United's Alexander Isak has been linked with a move to Liverpool

(Image: MI News/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Liverpool have been told to forget trying to sign Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak. The Reds have frequently been linked with a move for Isak in the summer transfer window.

The Swedish forward scored the winning goal for Newcastle against Liverpool in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday afternoon. An update on Isak's future was provided by Fabrizio Romano via his YouTube channel on Monday. Romano claims that the Reds have already held talks with Isak's representatives over a deal to sign the striker, with Arsenal also reportedly keen on acquiring his services.

Article continues below

However, former Manchester United and Wrexham goalkeeper Ben Foster has suggested Liverpool have no chance of bringing Isak to Anfield. The ex-England international believes Newcastle will not be willing to sell Isak at any price, with the striker scoring 23 goals in all competitions so far this season.

"They will not sell him. Even for £150m, and I can promise you that they still wouldn't sell him," Foster said on his Fozcast podcast. "He's not going anywhere, because it would leave so much bad feeling at Newcastle. It would take the wind out the fans' sails so much if he left."

Foster's comments follow widespread reports that Newcastle are determined to keep hold of their star asset. The former Real Sociedad forward still has three years left on his contract at St James' Park and talks over an extension are expected at the end of the season.

The need for fresh faces in attack at Liverpool has been hastened by ongoing uncertainty over Mohamed Salah's future, with his contract due to expire in the summer. Foster warned the Egyptian could prove costly to replace after his fine form in front of goal for the Reds this season.

Alexander Isak of Newcastle United celebrates with his Carabao Cup winners' medal

Alexander Isak of Newcastle United celebrates with his Carabao Cup winners' medal

He added: "Liverpool have got a fantastic team and they've got players that can come in and fill their places, but it's not going to be to the same calibre. If Mo goes, he's one of the best players in the world. There's no attackers like that who you're going to be able to buy for less than £80m to £100m."

Salah could leave Anfield on a free transfer this summer unless a new agreeable deal is offered to him. The 32-year-old has firmly stated that no breakthrough has been made in talks between Liverpool and his representatives.

It means Arne Slot could potentially start next season without three key stars, with Alexander-Arnold and Virgil van Dijk also out of contract this summer. Salah has scored 32 goals with 22 assists in all competitions for the Reds this season and been tipped to be in contention to win the Ballon d'Or later this year.

Mohamed Salah

Mohamed Salah will be hoping to add further silverware to his trophy cabinet this season

Other candidates apparently in the running include Barcelona star Raphinha and Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe also apparently in the running. However, questions have been raised over whether Salah's chances of winning the Ballon d'Or have been harmed because of Liverpool's recent Champions League exit.

Regardless of whether he wins the top award, Salah's boots will certainly be hard to fill if he chooses to leave, although lifting the Premier League title would be a fitting farewell. The Reds now have nine remaining league fixtures left to play for this season, with a record-equalling 20th top flight English league title in sight.

Salah recently revealed that he is using the memories of their previous triumphs as inspiration for their title charge. "It's an incredible day [Liverpool's last trophy parade], that's why I'm really desperate to win the Premier League with the club now, just have the same day as this one," he said.

"It's going to be unforgettable because I know how much it means to win the Premier League. I just want to win the Premier League with the city and the fans. To experience that day and go on the parade in the city, it's going to be incredible."

Read full news in source page