manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Man City 115 charges new timeline verdict given as Premier League rivals wait

Manchester United – and every other Premier League club – will be eager to find out whether or not Manchester City were successful in their dispute with the Premier League

Comments

Sport

Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Chairman of Manchester City, and Pep Guardiola, Manager of Manchester City, watch on following the team's victory in the Premier League match between Manchester City and West Ham United at Etihad Stadium on May 19, 2024

Pep Guardiola and Khaldoon Al Mubarak(Image: Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)

It has been revealed when Manchester City could get the final verdict of their legal battle with the Premier League. In February 2023, the competition charged its champions with 115 alleged breaches of financial regulations, although City have vehemently denied any wrongdoing throughout the process.

After a long-winded exchange in front of an independent panel, the case concluded late last year, with a ruling expected to be announced soon. Earlier this year, Pep Guardiola suggested that a final verdict would be reached in March, but the three-man panel are yet to deliver a final verdict.

Article continues below

Speaking on talkSPORT, Stefan Borson was asked if the dispute could be wrapped up during the current international break. The former Man City financial adviser admitted that it would 'make sense' for both parties to learn their fate this month.

"It would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it?" said the football finance expert. "If it was in court, you'd say, 'Well that is completely irrelevant' because the judges don't care about whether it is convenient commercially for the parties.

"But remember this is a commercial arbitration of sorts. And therefore they may well be minded to fit within the two parties' preferences and you would think that the two parties' preferences would be this week, or next week the international break.

"That would make some sense," Borson added. "That said, there are a few sort of indicators that it is not imminent. Our friend Lord Pannick was not busily reading a draft decision that had been presented to him last night.

"He was in the House of Lords looking very pleased with himself, talking about expensive lawyers in a debate about the independent football regulator. He was a very active participant in that, so he was not in chambers busily reading any decision provided to him in advance of a release.

"So we will see, as I say it would make sense for it to be in the next few days, but equally it is not certain. It could still be quite some time away."

Speaking to the Financial Times last month, Richard Masters was asked to comment on the legal battle against Man City. Keeping his cards close to his chest, the Premier League chief executive said: "I literally cannot say a word about it."

On potential damage to the Premier League, Masters added: "There is no happy alternative to enforcing the rules. The Premier League will survive the impact of all of this and come through it. The broadcast partners, fans around the world, our new sponsors have great confidence in the Premier League."

A week or so prior the interview, Masters was at the Business of Football Summit in London. Unsurprisingly, he remained tight-lipped when asked to 'address the elephant in the room'. The English top-flight's boss said: "You won’t be surprised to hear that I won’t be talking about this, I can’t.

"I mean, the disciplinary panel has heard the case and they must be left alone now to consider their decision and given the time and space to be able to do that. That is as pretty much as far as I can go."

Read full news in source page