amu.tv

State Department denies Afghan visa ban, says refugee relocation continues

WASHINGTON — The U.S. State Department has denied reports that Afghanistan is on a list of countries facing entry bans, stating that no such list exists and that the relocation of Afghan allies remains ongoing.

Speaking at a press briefing on Monday, March 17, State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce pushed back against claims that Afghan refugees, including those who worked with the State Department, CIA, and Department of Defense, would be barred under President Donald Trump’s executive order on visa restrictions.

“First of all, there is no list,” Bruce said. “What people are looking at over these last several days is not a list that exists here that is being acted on.”

She clarified that the administration is conducting a broader security review of visa policies, but Afghans who assisted the U.S. government remain a priority for resettlement.

“When it comes to Afghanistan and those who have helped us, the arrangements we have already made—getting as many people from that conflict here—remain in place,” Bruce said.

Bruce’s remarks come amid growing concerns from advocates for Afghan refugees, who fear that efforts are underway to weaken protections for at-risk Afghans.

Shawn VanDiver, head of Afghan Evac, a coalition of U.S. military veterans and refugee rights advocates, said on X that the Trump administration’s policies have left “thousands of Afghan allies and other vulnerable refugees in limbo.”

A federal judge had previously blocked Trump’s order suspending Afghan refugee admissions, ruling that the process should resume. However, advocates argue that the administration is trying to sidestep the ruling and slow down refugee processing.

Meanwhile, the nonprofit No One Left Behind reported that the House Rules Committee has removed two key provisions from the Continuing Resolution (CR) funding bill that includes 20,000 additional Special Immigrant Visas (SIVs) for Afghan allies and a two-year extension of the program.

The move has raised fears that thousands of at-risk Afghans may be left without a pathway to safety in the United States, despite their service alongside American forces.

Immigration, Uncategorized

Iran denies restricting Afghan visa issuance

March 17, 2025

Immigration, Sports

Afghan refugee team wins four medals at weightlifting championship in Germany

March 17, 2025

Immigration

Afghan child falls to death from sixth-floor balcony in Pakistan

March 16, 2025

Immigration

Iran says it arrested 14,000 migrants only in one province

March 16, 2025

Read full news in source page