Vancouver Auto Show scraps Tesla as US vs Canada over tariff war ramps up
ByTuhin Das Mahapatra
Mar 19, 2025 10:29 AM IST
Citing security concerns, the Vancouver International Auto Show has officially removed Tesla from its lineup.
The Vancouver International Auto Show has officially removed Tesla from its lineup, citing “security concerns”.
Tesla has been excluded from the Vancouver International Auto Show over security issues, despite warnings to withdraw. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)(AP)
Tesla has been excluded from the Vancouver International Auto Show over security issues, despite warnings to withdraw. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)(AP)
Recently, Tesla has had several protests in Canada over Elon Musk's close tie to U.S. President Donald Trump, who has imposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canada's imports and threatened to annex the country. Musk was given multiple warnings to voluntarily withdraw but declined to do so.
“The Vancouver International Auto Show has removed Tesla … after the automaker was provided multiple opportunities to voluntarily withdraw,” said Eric Nicholl, the executive director of the auto show, in an official statement, per CBC News.
“The Vancouver Auto Show's primary concern is the safety of attendees, exhibitors, and staff.”
ALSO READ|Donald Trump hails Musk over Sunita Williams, Butch Wilmore's return, ‘Elon is able to do that with his genius’
Vancouver Auto Show excludes Tesla, citing no political influence
Vancouver International Auto Show is Western Canada’s largest automotive event, where around 200 vehicles are presented over a five-day period from March 19. Leading manufacturers such as Cadillac, Ford, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Toyota and Kia will be represented vehicles at the event.
Nearly 130 thousand attendants came for the event last year. But the logo for Tesla, listed as a participant for the show’s website, was removed from the show’s official website by Tuesday afternoon.
This also comes amid Tesla owners around the States reportedly losing their personal information, apparently under a controversial website called ‘Dogequest’ that hopes to shame and intimidate them, as CEO Elon Musk further affirms his ties to the Trump administration.
Many are also unhappy with Trump’s policies, which include imposing tariffs on Canadian goods and commenting about making the country as US' 51 state.
ALSO READ|Tesla owners’ personal data leaked amid anti-Musk backlash, and there’s only one way to get off the list
Nicholl also clarified that political factors did not influence the decision to exclude Tesla, though he expressed disappointment as the expo aimed to feature a wide range of automobiles. “It was a tough call to make,” he told the reporters.
He stressed the significance of consumer auto shows for all carmakers, noting that no other participants had been excluded during his three-year tenure.
rec-icon Recommended Topics
Share this article
Donald Trump
Elon Musk
Tesla
CanadaCanada
United States
Read breaking news, latest updates from United States on topics related to politics, crime, along with national affairs. Stay up to date with news developments on Kamala Harris and Donald Trump.
See More
Read breaking news, latest updates from United States on topics related to politics, crime, along with national affairs. Stay up to date with news developments on Kamala Harris and Donald Trump.