dailymail.co.uk

Revealed: What Van Dijk and PSG officials really spoke about

Virgil van Dijk is heading into the final three months of his contract with the club

The Dutchman was seen in conversation with PSG officials at Anfield last week

LISTEN NOW: It's All Kicking Off! Why Eddie Howe is the 'greatest coach of his generation'

By HARRY BAMFORTH

Published: 05:03 EDT, 19 March 2025 | Updated: 05:04 EDT, 19 March 2025

Rumours linking Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk with a summer move to PSG are believed to be wide of the mark.

The Dutchman is yet to sign a new contract at Anfield, with his current terms set to expire at the end of the season.

Many teams across Europe and beyond are said to be interested in the 33-year-old's services as speculation begins to pick up pace.

Last week, footage of Van Dijk deep in conversation with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi and sporting director Luis Campos in the Anfield tunnel certainly raised eyebrows, following Liverpool's exit to the French outfit in the hour prior.

The video gave wind to the rumour mill, linking Van Dijk with a move to Luis Enrique's side, however, the talk 'wasn’t about his future' but in fact the two-legged round of 16 battle between the two sides.

French Journalist Julien Laurens has reported that no transfer talks have taken place between Van Dijk and PSG.

Rumours linking Virgil van Dijk with a move to PSG at the end of the season are deemed to be untrue

Virgil van Dijk was seen in conversation with PSG chiefs Nasser Al-Khelaifi and Luis Campos after Liverpool were knocked out of the Champions League by PSG last week

Van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold (middle), and Mohamed Salah (left) are all out of contract at the end of teh season and hav eyet to put pen to paper on an extension

Van Dijk is one of three Liverpool stars whose future remains uncertain, with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Mohamed Salah also yet to extend their stays at Anfield beyond this current campaign.

The 33-year-old has remained tight-lipped on his future, although it has been widely reported that he is likely to stay at Anfield and sign a new contract.

Nevertheless, despite all the talk about his future, Van Dijk is still unsure what it holds.

‘As long as I am calm to you guys then there is no need to panic; Van Dijk said last week. 'Whatever may happen in the future. If I was worried you would see me playing a little bit worried and that is not the case.

‘Maybe I will run this fully down and then if there is still no news, I don't know. I don't know at this stage (what will happen).

'But I don't want to create any anxiety or anything like that, I just keep my head down and focus.'

The conversation between Van Dijk, Al-Khelaifi and Campos was not planned, but rather that the Dutchman wanted to issue an apology, according to RMC Sport.

The Liverpool captain was involved in a clash with the Portuguese chief during the team's first leg of the Champions League round of 16. However, the trio smoothed things out after the tie.

Liverpool skipper Virgil van Dijk (33) has a post-game talk with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi and Sporting director Luis Campos at Anfield.pic.twitter.com/aWDN3hl0Om

— Get French Football News (@GFFN) March 11, 2025

Van Dijk is believed to have apologised to Campos (right) after an incident in the first leg

Van Dijk has now entered his final nine games in red, as things stand, as transfer talk heats up

The PSG defeat was the start of a bad week for Van Dijk as his Liverpool side were also beaten by Newcastle in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday.

The Dutchman now has his eyes set on claiming the Premier League title with the Reds 12 points clear of Arsenal at the top of the table.

Liverpool have nine games to get the job done in what could be the end of an era for many stars on Merseyside, including Van Dijk.

Read full news in source page