Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Sandro Tonali has declared his “love” for Eddie Howe after helping him settle into life at Newcastle United.
A rocky start resulted in the midfielder being slapped with a 10-month ban by Italian authorities for breaching betting regulations. The bombshell came just 12 games into his Tyneside career, with Toon chiefs forking out £55million to lure Tonali from AC Milan.
Despite costing the Magpies during their Champions League campaign, the club rallied behind the 24-year-old. Newcastle are now reaping the benefits as Tonali has become the base of their dynamic midfield trio.
Howe switched the former Milan ace to a deep-lying role, allowing Bruno Guimaraes licence to get forward. This has resulted in the Magpies propelling themselves into a Champions League race and, crucially, ending the 70-year wait without domestic silverware.
Click here to join NewcastleWorld's dedicated NUFC WhatsApp channel for news videos and voice notes. CLICK THE FOR NOTIFICATIONS.
Tonali’s contribution was crucial to Newcastle getting the monkey off their back on Sunday. His performance was personified by a moment where he sent Virgil van Dijk for a gym membership - a clip that has gone viral on social media.
Speaking before the Carabao Cup final win, Tonali opened up about how the coaching staff and players helped him adjust to English football. He also emotionally declared Howe as a “friend” as well as his Toon mentor.
“At the start, we worked together because the football in England is different,” Tonali told the Wembley match programme. “The speed is different. It’s too different types of football, so it was difficult. Also, it was difficult because of the language, but I am lucky because the manager and the assistant are great people.
“I love playing with these teammates as well. From the first day, they have been great. He works off the pitch a lot with us. This was so important because, when you sign for a new team, the first person you meet is the manager. Eddie is great and we love him. He has become my friend as well as my manager.”
Sandro Tonali claims rubbishes Newcastle United exit talk
Tonali’s latest claims should put an end to talk linking him with a Serie A return. Italian outlets have perenially linked him with a possible return ever since he joined Newcastle in 2023.
Howe rejected those reports when the question was put to him last year. He said: “Sandro is a vital part of what we’re doing. Our investment in him is long term. I’ve been really pleased with him personally. We’ve built up a strong relationship.
“He’s improving in all aspects of the play. Naturally through the games that he’s playing. The ban was difficult because he’s only training and he’s not learning from the game. The games are the biggest teacher I think, so I think now he’s in a position where he’s getting both. I think we’re seeing an improvement in all aspects of his game.”
YOUR NEXT READ:PIF react as Yasir Al-Rumayyan makes hugeNewcastle United vow after winning the Carabao Cup.