THE presidents of Congo and neighbouring Rwanda have met in Qatar for their first direct talks since the Rwanda-backed M23 militia seized two major cities in mineral-rich eastern Congo earlier this year.
The meeting took place between the Democratic Republic of Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi, Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatar’s ruling emir, on Tuesday.
In a joint statement Congo and Rwanda reaffirmed their commitment to an immediate and unconditional ceasefire, but offered no specifics on how that ceasefire would be implemented or monitored.
The summit came as a previous attempt to bring Congo’s government and M23 leaders together for ceasefire negotiations failed. The M23 pulled out on Monday after the European Union announced sanctions on rebel leaders.
A diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, said both Mr Tshisekedi and Mr Kagame had formally requested Qatar’s mediation for the talks, which the diplomat said were informal and aimed at building trust rather than resolving all outstanding issues.
M23 is one of about 100 armed groups that have been seeking to win control over Congolese territory near the border with Rwanda, in a conflict that has led to more than 7 million people being displaced.
The M23 are supported by about 4,000 Rwandan troops, according to United Nations experts.