liverpoolecho.co.uk

'I don't know' - Alexander Isak issues response to transfer talk amid Liverpool interest

Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak has become one of the Premier League's most sought-after players after goalscoring exploits this season

Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak

Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak(Image: Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images)

Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak has refused to be drawn on his future beyond the end of the season amid interest from Liverpool. Isak has become one of the most sought-after players in the Premier League having scored 23 goals and provided five assists in 33 appearances this campaign.

The 25-year-old striker - signed by Newcastle in August 2022 for a club record £63million - netted the winner against the Reds in the League Cup final at Wembley on Sunday to earn Newcastle their first domestic honour in 70 years.

Arne Slot has previously confirmed Liverpool are in the market for a number nine this summer with Darwin Nunez having attracted interest from Saudi Arabia in January and Diogo Jota experiencing an under-par term hampered by injury.

READ MORE: Liverpool have midfield transfer plan Arne Slot cannot ignore this summerREAD MORE: Liverpool contracts situation is coming to a head - Arne Slot needs answer now

And while happy at Newcastle, Isak has fallen short of committing his long-term future to the Magpies when quizzed on reported interest from Liverpool, Arsenal and Barcelona.

"I don't know much, to be honest," he said. "From within the club and from our side there are absolutely no discussions. It's just full focus on playing for me. There's not much to say, really. I've commented on my situation and my security in Newcastle several times.

"It's been written how much I love the city and the club, how well I feel there. I'm not thinking about the future. I just want to perform for Newcastle. Now we won the cup, but we want to finish strong and reach the Champions League games. That's where my focus lies.

"There is no reason for me to think about anything else (other than Newcastle). I feel incredibly comfortable at Newcastle. The only focus I have is on playing."

Isak, however, has also dismissed suggestions talks have already been opened with Newcastle over a new contract.

Speaking to Swedish news outlet fotbollskanalen, Isak said: "It's the same there, really. There is a lot of writing outside but within the club no one is talking about anything like that."

Read full news in source page