Newcastle United have announced plans for an open-top bus parade to celebrate the Carabao Cup victory.
The 70-year wait for a trophy came to a brilliant end on Sunday afternoon with Newcastle United beating Liverpool 2-1 at Wembley.
Dan Burn scored a towering header to break the deadlock before Alexander Isak doubled the lead moments after half-time.
Newcastle fans took over London for the week and the behind-the-scenes celebrations at Wembley were iconic, with players FaceTiming Lewis Hall to involve him in the dressing room celebrations.
Many Newcastle players had to cut their celebrations short to fly out on international duty, but a bus parade has now been confirmed later this month.
Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images
Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images
When is Newcastle’s Carabao Cup bus parade?
There were concerns over Newcastle’s bus parade, but the club confirmed this week that there will be a celebration held on March 29th.
Newcastle players not called up to international squads have joined Eddie Howe for a warm-weather training camp, but the squad is set to meet up for the celebrations on the 29th.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
The full details are yet to be confirmed, but Newcastle fans will get a chance to cheer their Wembley heroes after ending the wait for a trophy.
What happened in previous Newcastle United bus parades?
Despite not winning a major trophy since 1955, Newcastle have held several bus parades when they finished as runners-up in cup competitions.
When Newcastle lost 3-0 to Liverpool in 1974, it was a dark day for travelling Toon fans as they watched Kevin Keegan tear their team apart at Wembley.
But the club decided to host a bus parade for Newcastle’s returning stars. As per The Times, former Newcastle player Frank Clark revealed players were “ashamed” on their return.
“A few of the players were a tad ashamed, but it was an incredible reception for a team that had been well-beaten,” Clark said.
Photo by Evening Standard/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
Photo by Evening Standard/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
The same happened again in 1998 and 1999 when Newcastle lost back-to-back FA Cup finals.
Former Newcastle star Warren Barton, who celebrates his birthday today, recalls the losers’ parade and how “300,000” fans turned up despite the result.
“We had a reception at the city centre, and another where we had a parade, as a thank you to the fans,” Barton said. “It was a little bit embarrassing because we hadn’t played well. We had a chance to say thanks, and there were about 300,000 that turned up just to watch our losers’ parade.”
Ahead of the 2025 final, Alan Shearer said the bus parades were “embarrassing” as he looked back on the ’98 and ’99 defeats.
READ MORE: The cruel twist of fate that won Newcastle United the Carabao Cup
“I also remember, particularly after the first (final) coming home and having the parade on Gosforth High Street. From the Gosforth Park Hotel to the Civic Centre. There were hundreds of thousands of people there. It was pretty embarrassing but it shows you how desperate this place is to win a trophy,” Alan Shearer said.
This time it will be different, though. This time, Newcastle are returning to Tyneside as winners with silverware in their hands. It will be a day to remember.