Credit: AP
Every household in France will receive a 20-page "survival manual" to help people prepare for "imminent threats", according to a government spokesperson.
The manual will include guidance on what to do in natural disasters, technological and cyber incidents, health crises such as a pandemic and security crises, including terrorist attacks and armed conflict, the spokeswoman for Prime Minister François Bayrou told ITV News' US partner CNN.
“The survival manual aims to encourage citizens to develop their resilience in the face of different crises,” she said.
Once it receives the final sign-off from Bayrou, the booklet will be delivered to households before the summer.
Subscribe free toour weekly newsletter for exclusive and original coverage from ITV News. Direct to your inbox every Friday morning.
The content is expected to be similar to information launched online by the French government in 2022, which advises on what to do in an emergency.
Among the recommendations will be having a list of contacts for the emergency services, knowing which radio channels to tune into, and ensuring that all doors are shut in the event of a nuclear accident.
The manual will also outline ways to contribute to the defence of the community, including volunteering for reserve units or local firefighting groups.
Sweden and Finland have recently updated similar booklets distributed to citizens to include instructions on preparing for communications outages, power cuts and extreme weather events.
Each household is also recommended to prepare a "survival kit", which should include six litres of bottled water, a dozen tins of food, batteries and a torch in case of power outages.
## Joël Le Scouarnec: Child abuse surgeon 'absolutely' sorry## One dead and three injured in 'Islamic terrorist' knife attack in France
People are also advised to buy medical supplies such as paracetamol, compresses and saline solution.
“We are doing everything we can to ensure citizens are ready to respond in the event of a crisis,” the government spokesperson said.
The announcement comes after a major overhaul to France's security forces, which was announced by President Emmanuel Macron earlier this month.
It includes plans to increase the number of operational reservists from 40,000 to 100,000 by 2035.
“Our country and our continent must continue to defend themselves, equip themselves, and prepare if we want to avoid war,” Macron said at a military base on Tuesday.
“This is the choice we have made, and will continue to make. No one can say what will happen in the months and years to come,” he added.
From Westminster to Washington DC - our political experts are across all the latest key talking points. Listen to the latest episode below...