everton.news

Report: James Garner's future at Everton takes a fresh twist as David Moyes' plans revealed

Everton have plenty of contract decisions to make over the coming weeks.

David Moyes has said no new contracts will be handed out until he has secured the club mathematical Premier League safety.

It is believed Everton are looking to hand Idrissa Gana Gueye a new contract on the back of a stunning season for the midfielder.

However, attention may already have turned to new contracts for players who still have time remaining on their current deals.

Abdoulaye Doucoure is not expected to remain at Everton beyond this season, which would mark another midfielder leaving the club alongside Orel Mangala.

However, there has now been some speculation to emerge over the future of James Garner ahead of the summer.

Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images

Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images

Everton set to open contract talks with James Garner

It has not been a straightforward season for Garner who has also been one of the players to suffer from injury.

Garner has impressed Brentford manager Thomas Frank, who gave the midfielder special praise ahead of their draw just last month.

MORE EVERTON STORIES

According to The Athletic, Everton are likely to enter contract talks with the £15m midfielder over the summer.

With FIFTEEN players out of contract at the end of the season, some big decisions ahead for Everton

🔵Full-back need

🔵Moyes' Coleman desire

🔵Gana no-brainer

🔵Right-wing focus

🔵Striker dilemma

Who stays & who goes? A blueprint for the summerhttps://t.co/wx17aiqZ3t

— Patrick Boyland (@Paddy_Boyland) March 19, 2025

View Tweet

It is claimed the Toffees have a 12-month extension clause on his current and the club are keen to retain Garner.

Midfielders are going to have to be added over the summer, with Mangala heading back to Lyon and Doucoure’s time on Merseyside seemingly over.

The Friedkins were keen to sign a midfielder in January when they landed Alcaraz on deadline day, but a holding midfielder will surely be of priority.

Extending Garner’s deal would be a real vote of confidence for the 24-year-old who has been trusted under Moyes’ tenure.

What David Moyes has said about James Garner

Since the Scotsman returned to Merseyside, Garner has been thrown back into the starting XI as a result of Mangala’s injury.

Garner has even been compared to David Beckham following some of the passes he has been making in an Everton shirt.

After the game against Leicester City in early February, Moyes had some big praise to place on the midfielder.

“I thought James did great. His pass for the goal was fabulous,” he said.

“I was a bit concerned about him playing as long as he did because I just need him to be right and get through and that was his first game. I thought he did a great job and I was pleased to have him back.”

Read full news in source page