The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) on Thursday announced that it has launched a new 'pinpointed' ground offensive in central and southern Gaza, regaining control of a key land corridor. The ground operations came just a day after heavy aerial bombardments on the strip which reportedly killed over 400 people, bringing an abrupt end to a two-month-old ceasefire with Hamas.
In a social media post, the IDF said that its troops "began targeted ground activities in central and southern Gaza, over the past day, in order to expand the security zone and to create a partial buffer between northern and southern Gaza".
advertisement
The military said its forces retook control of the centre of the Netzarim Corridor. According to the Times of Israel, troops from the 252nd Division advanced into the Netzarim Corridor, the key route dividing Gaza into northern and southern sectors, seizing control of roughly half the corridor, reaching as far as the Salah a-Din road.
The IDF simultaneously announced the deployment of the elite Golani Brigade to the southern Gaza border, positioning the unit in preparation for potential operations inside the strip.
"The IDF will continue to operate against terrorist organizations in Gaza to protect the citizens of the State of Israel," it said.
Israel has accused Hamas of repeatedly refusing to release hostages and turning down mediator proposals. In response, Hamas has blamed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for shattering the truce and endangering hostages with what it called "reckless and unilateral" actions.
advertisement
The recent onslaught, which included sending more troops to southern Gaza, threatened to drag the sides into an all-out war again.
The ceasefire offered brief relief to war-weary Palestinians, opened the door for desperately-needed humanitarian aid to flow into Gaza, and secured the release of dozens of hostages who had been held captive for over 15 months.
Defending the resumption of the offensive into the Gaza Strip, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the war would continue until Hamas's governing authority and military infrastructure were entirely dismantled.
Published By:
Sahil Sinha
Published On:
Mar 20, 2025
Must Watch