football.london

Liverpool release major new injury statement amid Arsenal title race threat

Liverpool have released a statement regarding the fitness of Ryan Gravenberch after the midfielder pulled out of the Netherlands squad during the international break.

Gravenberch, who has been in fine form for Liverpool this season, was selected alongside club teammates Cody Gakpo and Virgil van Dijk for two Nations League fixtures against Spain this month.

However, Gravenberch has since had to withdraw from the Netherlands camp due to a "fitness issue". The former Bayern Munich and Ajax star will therefore not be involved in each of his nation's double-header against Spain and has instead returned to Liverpool to be assessed.

In a club statement, Liverpool said: "Ryan Gravenberch has departed the Netherlands camp and will not be involved in their fixtures this week.

"The Liverpool midfielder had linked up with his country, alongside Cody Gakpo and Virgil van Dijk, for a UEFA Nations League double-header versus Spain on Thursday and Sunday.

"However, the Dutch announced on Wednesday evening that Gravenberch has now withdrawn from duty due to a fitness issue. The 22-year-old will be assessed upon his return to Merseyside, with the Reds back in action when they host Everton in the Premier League on April 2."

Join the football.london Arsenal WhatsApp channel

Arsenal Manager Mikel Arteta, Bukayo Saka, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Jesus with the Arsenal Therapy Dog Win during the Arsenal Men's team group shoot at London Colney on September 18, 2023

Join our Arsenal WhatsApp channel and get all the latest breaking news, opinion, podcasts and in-depth stories from football.london's dedicated Arsenal writers straight to your phone!

By following this free service you will be the first to know the news from the Emirates Stadium as it happens, when it happens.

To join our dedicated Arsenal channel, all you have to do is click this link and you can join thousands of others following our Gunners coverage!

If you're curious, you can check out our privacy policy here.

With Arsenal next playing in the Premier League before Liverpool, Mikel Arteta's side could close the gap on the leaders to just nine points with a win over Fulham on Tuesday, April 1.

Although overcoming the current 12-point deficit with nine games to go is looking increasingly unlikely at this stage, the Gunners are not losing hope and feel the return of Bukayo Saka could be a gamechanger. Saka is expected to return from injury for the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Real Madrid on Tuesday, April 8.

Arsenal will be desperate for Bukayo Saka to return from injury in time for their Champions League quarter-final tie against Real Madrid

Arsenal will be desperate for Bukayo Saka to return from injury in time for their Champions League quarter-final tie against Real Madrid (Image: (Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images))

Delivering an update on Saka's condition last week, Arteta said: "He is going to be here [at the Arsenal training ground in international break], hopefully more with ball at his feet than he has had.

"That will mean he is passing the ball and shooting and running and everything. He has done quite a lot already on the pitch working on his own. Next we need to arrange it with people around him in a more competitive training session and see how he goes with that.

"He's getting closer, he's stepping up and making a very good progress I would say. So, let’s see when we start to throw him in with the team, how he reacts and how fit he can get quickly."

Read full news in source page