Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Alexander Isak has dismissed transfer speculation and vowed his focus remains Champions League qualification for Newcastle United.
The Swede became immortalised on Sunday by bagging in the Carabao Cup final win over Liverpool. His strike shortly after half-time doubled Newcastle’s advantage and gave the Reds an uphill task.
Ending the club’s 70-year wait without domestic silverware has made Isak - and his Toon teammates - legends on Tyneside. Those not on international duty have jetted to Dubai to celebrate and undertake warm-weather training ahead of the final 10 Premier League fixtures.
Isak, as one of the world’s best strikers, was called up by Sweden for their double-header against Luxembourg and Northern Ireland. His post-match celebrations were cut short, with Dan Burn also famously linking up with England for the first time less than 12 hours after becoming a Toon icon.
Click here to join NewcastleWorld's dedicated NUFC WhatsApp channel for news videos and voice notes. CLICK THE FOR NOTIFICATIONS.
Speaking to Swedish media, Isak deflected questions on his future - insisting he “loves” Newcastle as a club and city. He said: "There’s not much to say, really. I’ve commented on my situation and my security in Newcastle several times.
“It’s been written how much I love the city and the club, how well I feel there. I’m not thinking about the future. I just want to perform for Newcastle. Now we won the cup, but we want to finish strong and reach the Champions League games. That’s where my focus lies.”
The 25-year-old also opened up about the “incredible feeling” of delivering Newcastle silverware. He is not set to return to Tyneside until Wednesday - three days before the anticipated trophy parade.
“Things like that can’t be described,” Isak added. “I think you can only 'imagine' how it feels. But it’s an incredible feeling. Wembley was packed with all the Newcastle fans there. I’m looking forward to seeing what Newcastle is like as a city after that. I haven’t been back yet.”
Music to Eddie Howe’s ears as Newcastle United transfer plans shape up
Isak declaring his love for Newcastle can only spell good news for Eddie Howe. The Magpies have not made a major first-team signing for three windows but should have funds available this summer.
"We have to try and keep our best players,” Howe said earlier in the season. “That's crucial to our short-term success and our long-term success, so sitting here as the manager of the football club, I'd be saying we need to keep the group together and we need to add the other way.
"We haven't added (to the first team) in a long time in various transfer windows for the reasons we've all discussed. But we need to move the team forward and we can't lose our best players."
YOUR NEXT READ:I asked AI to predictNewcastle United's season after historic Carabao Cup win - and here's what it said