the-independent.com

Adolescence creators accept invitation to discuss online safety with MPs

Your support helps us to tell the story

From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it's investigating the financials of Elon Musk's pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, 'The A Word', which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.

At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.

The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.

Your support makes all the difference.

Read more

Stephen Graham and Jack Thorne, the creators of TV drama Adolescence, have accepted an invitation to attend a meeting in Parliament to discuss online safety with MPs.

The Netflix crime drama is about a boy accused of killing a girl in his class.

This Is England star Graham plays Eddie Miller, the father of 13-year-old Jamie, played by newcomer Owen Cooper, who sees armed police burst into his home to arrest his son.

Eddie is then chosen as Jamie’s appropriate adult, accompanying him at the police interview, and learning the extent of what his son is accused of doing.

The programme examines so-called incel (involuntary celibate) culture, which has led to misogyny online and bullying using social media.

Graham and Thorne received an invite to the meeting by Labour MP Josh McAlister, which he confirmed to the PA news agency had been accepted with a date to be decided on.

It comes after Thorne advocated for the show to be shown in Parliament and schools, with Sir Keir Starmer indicating that it should during Wednesday’s Prime Minister’s Questions.

The Prime Minister said he watched the programme with his children, and added that “this violence carried out by young men, influenced by what they see online, is a real problem, it’s abhorrent, and we have to tackle it”.

During an interview with BBC Two’s current affairs programme Newsnight, Thorne said he hopes “we can use this moment to provoke this government to consider quite serious change”.

He referenced that the Australian senate has passed a social media ban for young children.

Thorne said: “I would extend it further, it is about gaming too, and it’s about getting inside all these different systems.”

He admitted there were “good” things about social media and gaming, but stressed the government should legislate to protect teenagers and see “what change that could bring to our society”.

Australia is set to make platforms including TikTok, Facebook, Snapchat, Reddit, X and Instagram liable for fines of up to 50 million Australian dollars (£25 million) if they systematically do not prevent those younger than 16 from holding accounts.

Thorne also said the issue is not just about controversial influencer Andrew Tate, adding this is why the series has “struck a chord” worldwide.

Read full news in source page