straitstimes.com

Mediacorp DJ allegedly had sexual communication with minor and committed voyeurism

SINGAPORE – Popular Tamil language actor and Mediacorp DJ Gunalan Morgan allegedly committed voyeurism involving two women and engaged in sexual communication with an underage girl on separate occasions in 2024.

The 43-year-old Singaporean, who was a producer-presenter at Oli968 radio station at the time of his alleged offences, appeared in a district court on March 21 and was handed seven charges in all.

Responding to queries from The Straits Times, Mediacorp said: “(Gunalan) was immediately suspended from work upon our knowledge of his arrest, and a termination notice has been served on him. We seek your understanding that we are unable to comment further.”

Gunalan is now accused of offences including three counts of voyeurism and one count of having sexual communication with a minor who was then below 16 years old.

He is also accused of perfoming an act that could obstruct, prevent, pervert of defeat the course of justice.

Details about the two women and the girl, whose age was not disclosed in court documents, cannot be disclosed due to a gag order.

There is also a gag order on the locations of his alleged offences.

According to court documents, Gunalan allegedly had sexual communications with an underage girl on four separate occasions between Aug 25 and 31, 2024.

He is accused of deleting his Instagram conversations with her the following month, after he found out a police report had been lodged against him.

Separately, Gunalan is said to have used his mobile phone to record a woman’s intimate parts on four separate occasions without her consent on Aug 28, 2024.

He allegedly committed a similar offence involving another woman on Oct 8 that year.

On March 21, the court heard that the prosecution will be proceeding on three of his charges if he intends to plead guilty. His remaining four charges will then be taken into consideration.

When asked what he intends to do next, he replied that he needs some time to seek legal advice.

His case will be mentioned again in court on April 21. 

* Shaffiq Alkhatib is The Straits Times’ court correspondent, covering mainly criminal cases heard at the State Courts.

Join [ST's WhatsApp Channel](https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VZzIPtoFXUuS8frj520t) and get the latest news and must-reads.

Read full news in source page