Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has directed the Navy's USS Carl Vinson, currently operating in the Pacific, to begin its transit to the Middle East amid escalating strikes on Yemen-based Houthi rebels, an official told the Associated Press.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of ongoing operations, said Hegseth also signed orders Thursday to extend the deployment of the USS Harry S. Truman in the region for at least another month. The carrier has been active in the Red Sea targeting Houthi positions and was originally scheduled to return to Norfolk, Virginia, at the end of March.
Additionally, Hegseth has directed the USS Carl Vinson, currently operating in the Pacific, to begin its transit to the Middle East. This move will extend its deployment by approximately three months.
This will mark the second time in six months that two carrier strike groups have been stationed in the region-an area that typically sees just one. Before this recent pattern, it had been years since the U.S. committed such a significant naval force to the Middle East.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated as more information is available.
Reporting by the Associated Press contributed to this story.
Related Articles
Earthquake Rocks Iran Near Key Nuclear Site
Trump Sends Rare Goodwill Message at Iranian New Year
Iran's Supreme Leader Reacts to US Strikes on Houthis
Satellite Photo Shows US Aircraft Carrier Leading Strikes on Houthis
2025 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC.
This story was originally published March 21, 2025 at 12:39 PM.