miamiherald.com

Israel Blames Lebanon for Fresh Hezbollah Attack

Southern Lebanese village of Yohmor. Smoke billows from the site of Israeli artillery shelling that targeted the area of the southern Lebanese village of Yohmor on March 22, 2025. RABIH DAHER/

Lebanon was struck by artillery fire and airstrikes from Israel, which said it had intercepted rockets fired from across the border.

The attacks on Saturday threaten a November ceasefire that ended a war between Israel and the Lebanese armed group Hezbollah, prompting Lebanon's prime minister to warn that his country was at risk of being drawn into a "new war."

After three months of an uneasy truce, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it had intercepted rockets launched from a Lebanese district north of the border.

Newsweek has contacted the IDF and Lebanese government for comment.

Why It Matters

The U.S.-brokered truce in November followed a yearlong war between Hezbollah and Israel-the deadliest spillover of the war in Gaza, which began following Hamas' attacks on southern Israel on October 7, 2023.

The exchange of missiles on Saturday add to regional tensions that have spiked following Israel's resumptions of airstrikes on Gaza.

What To Know

At least five rockets were fired from Lebanon at Metula, Israel, on Saturday morning, the Times of Israel reported.

Meanwhile, Lebanon's state news agency said Israeli artillery hit two towns in southern Lebanon and that three other towns close to the border were hit by airstrikes.

The Lebanese National News Agency said Israeli planes flew over parts of southern Lebanon and that ground troops fired at the Hamames hills.

There were also reports of Israeli artillery fire on the Nabatieh district in the south and the town of Khiam. There were no reports of injuries or damage and no immediate claim of responsibility from Hezbollah.

Israel's military said earlier that it had intercepted three rockets launched 4 miles north of the border and were returning artillery fire.

Israel has not confirmed who was behind the attacks, but Defense Minister Israel Katz said the Lebanese government was responsible for rockets fired onto the border town of Metula.

Under the terms of the Israel-Hezbollah ceasefire, Israeli forces were supposed to withdraw from all Lebanese territory by late January, which was extended to February 18. Lebanon's government was responsible for dismantling military infrastructure in southern Lebanon and confiscating unauthorized arms.

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam warned on Saturday of renewed military operations on the southern border and the risk of dragging the country into a new war.

Meanwhile, Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said on X, formerly Twitter, that all relevant forces in southern Lebanon and the monitoring committee and army overseeing the November truce should work to stop violations that could threaten his country.

What People Are Saying

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said in a statement: "We will not allow rocket fire from Lebanon on the Galilee communities. We promised security to the communities of the Galilee-and that is exactly how it will be."

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun wrote on X: "What happened today in the south, and what has continued there since February 18, constitutes a persistent assault on Lebanon and a blow to its rescue project, which the Lebanese have unanimously agreed upon."

What Happens Next

Israel has said it would respond severely to attacks from Lebanon, and given its pledge to increase the intensity of its operations in Gaza, concern may grow about an escalation of tensions in the region.

Related Articles

Russia Defends Iran's Nuclear Program

Spy Chief's Visit to Trump Shows Middle East Ally's Growing Power

Iran's Supreme Leader Reacts to US Strikes on Houthis

Satellite Photo Shows US Aircraft Carrier Leading Strikes on Houthis

2025 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC.

This story was originally published March 22, 2025 at 7:20 AM.

Read full news in source page