aa.com.tr

Emergency doctor in Gaza urges Australia to intervene as Israeli attacks escalate

**ISTANBUL** 

An emergency doctor in Gaza has urged Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and his government to intervene and "be a voice of reason" as Israeli attacks escalate, SBS News reported on Friday.

Dr. Mohammed Mustafa, an Australian doctor with the Palestinian Australian New Zealand Medical Association, described the situation on the ground as "catastrophic."

Mustafa stated that a school near the hospital where he works had been bombed, leading to hundreds of patients arriving within hours. As a result, they have run out of medicine.

"We need the bombing to stop. That's the first thing we need, and we need the blockade that's been going on for three weeks to open," Mustafa said, underscoring the need for medical supplies.

Highlighting the importance of the Australian public recognizing the severity of the situation, Mustafa called on the government to take humanitarian action.

"I need my Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to do something about this; we cannot cope with the patients coming in, and there are children dying," Mustafa said. "We need our government to step in and to help, or at least be a voice of reason in this carnage that's going on right now."

**'Advocate for a peaceful resolution'**

In an interview with ABC Radio, Albanese stated that the government is committed to ensuring humanitarian support reaches Gaza, reaffirming its stance in favor of a ceasefire and a two-state solution.

"We have had the same position for some time, we've voted that way consistently in international forums," the prime minister said.

"We'll continue to do so and we'll continue to advocate for a peaceful resolution that includes working towards a two-state solution where both Israelis and Palestinians can live in peace and security."

When asked if Israel was wrong to deny aid to people in Gaza, Albanese did not provide a direct answer but emphasized that access to essential services is a "basic human need."

“We don't want to see innocent people suffering,” he said.

More than 700 Palestinians have been killed and over 900 injured in a surprise aerial campaign by Israel on Gaza since Tuesday, shattering a ceasefire and prisoner exchange agreement that took hold in January.

Nearly 50,000 Palestinians have been killed, mostly women and children, and over 112,000 injured in a brutal Israeli military onslaught in Gaza since October 2023.

Meanwhile, Canberra had cancelled visas of many Gazans fleeing Israeli war, citing security assessments.

Last November, the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice for its war on the enclave.

[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)

Read full news in source page