The Finnish guidance also notes that Finland does not issue passports with an “X” gender designation. Dual citizens with such documents are advised to check eligibility with the U.S. before travelling.
The Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has added a new section to its U.S. visa guidance. It advises applicants that U.S. authorities only accept two gender categories on visa applications: male or female. If a traveller’s passport includes an “X” gender marker or their legal gender differs from their birth sex, the ministry recommends contacting the U.S. embassy before travelling.
The update followed a request by advocacy group LGBT+ Denmark, according to Danish broadcaster Radio4. Susanne Branner Jespersen, head of secretariat at LGBT+ Denmark, told Radio4: “We are worried that people will be stopped at the airport and denied entry, or that they will be exposed to something that is transgressive and unpleasant at the airport.”
She added that the organisation would seek “a very clear answer to what to expect if you as a transgender person want to apply for entry to the United States” by contacting the U.S. embassy directly.
The changes follow a series of executive orders signed by Donald Trump since returning to the White House. On 20 January, Trump signed an order declaring that the U.S. federal government would recognise only two sexes: male and female.
That order was followed by an executive action banning transgender individuals from military service. A Pentagon memo in February instructed military branches to identify and begin the discharge of transgender service members within 30 days.
In response to the directive, Pete Hegseth, Secretary of Defense, issued a memo stating that transgender people would no longer be allowed to enlist. The memo added that current service members diagnosed with gender dysphoria would be “treated with dignity and respect.”
The military policy has since been challenged in court. Ana Reyes, a federal judge, issued a temporary block on the executive order concerning military service, pending further legal proceedings.
Several European governments have responded by updating their own travel advice for the United States.
Germany revised its advisory after at least three German nationals were detained upon entry, including one permanent resident. The German Foreign Office said it was taking the detentions seriously. A spokesperson told ARD’s Tagesschau: “We have clarified and now clearly emphasize that an ESTA approval or a U.S. visa does not, in every case, authorize entry into the United States.”
Two of the detained German nationals have since returned home. One remains in the United States pending legal proceedings.
The British Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office also updated its guidance. It warns that travellers may face arrest or detention if they fail to comply with U.S. immigration rules. The change follows reports that a British national was detained at the U.S. border earlier in March. The British government confirmed it is providing consular support to the individual, according to Reuters.
Finland’s advisory, issued on Friday, also urges citizens to avoid large public gatherings in U.S. cities due to the risk of politically motivated violence. The ministry noted ongoing demonstrations across several urban areas, citing the possibility of confrontations during protests related to immigration, Middle East policy, or education issues.
The Finnish broadcaster Yle reported that the change reflects “evolving U.S. immigration policy under President Donald Trump’s new term.”
Several demonstrations have taken place in major U.S. cities since January. On 11 March, New York Police Department officers arrested protesters during a rally in Manhattan opposing Trump’s foreign and immigration policies.
HT