Pope Francis began with a thumbs up and concluded with the sign of the cross to mark his first public appearance after a 38-day hospitalization where he twice nearly died.
"I see a lady with yellow flowers," the pope said from the 2nd floor balcony of Rome's Gemelli Hospital. "Brava."
They were his only words uttered by the 88-year-old pontiff who was evidently still struggling to speak as he battles an ongoing respiratory infection. But they were more than many — including some prominent churchmen — ever expected to ever hear from him after a bout with double pneumonia led many to predict he would never make it out of the hospital alive.
Yet defying many odds, later today he will return to the Vatican residence where he has lived since his election in 2013 to begin a two month convalescence.
As the pontiff was wheeled out on the balcony just after noon on Sunday, he was met with shouts of "viva il papa!" and "Papa Francesco" from hundreds of well wishers.
The mix of Romans and pilgrims from around the world cheering on the still ailing pontiff was a marked change from several weeks ago where tears were shed, candles were being lit and prayers were being offered around the clock by those fearing the worst.
It was only one week ago, on March 15, when the Vatican released the first image of the pontiff from his hospitalization. In the photo — taken from the side — Francis is seated in a wheelchair, praying in the private chapel of his hospital suite after he concelebrated Mass.
In the few minutes that appeared on the balcony today, the pope's signature smile was visible, but so too were expressions of pain and shortness of breath.
Francis — who is accustomed to a full public schedule and thrives off the energy he receives from being among people — has been ordered by his doctors to avoid large crowds or settings that could jeopardize his recovery.
At a March 23 press conference announcing his imminent discharge, the pontiff's doctors said the pope's weak voice was normal for an individual of his age who had undergone such an intensive respiratory crisis and that in time he should be able to fully recover.
At Casa Santa Marta, the pope's Vatican residence, Francis will continue to receive supplemental oxygen and physiotherapy.
Vatican spokesman, Matteo Bruni, has declined to confirm any upcoming events, including a scheduled April 8 audience with King Charles III or in the Vatican's Holy Week and Easter liturgies.
Even so, the pope's doctors have said it could be possible for the pope to recover in time to travel to Turkey at the end of May to participate in a major ecumenical gathering to mark the 1700th anniversary of the Council of Nicea.
The Vatican also released on Sunday the prepared text of the pontiff's Angelus address.
"In this long time of hospitalization, I have experienced the Lord's patience," he wrote. "This trusting patience, anchored in God's love that does not fail, is indeed necessary to our lives, especially in facing the most difficult and painful situations."
The pope went on to express his sadness over Israel's resumed airstrikes on Gaza, which have killed some 600 people during the last week.
"I call for an immediate hush of weapons; and the courage to resume dialogue," wrote the pope.