gulf-times.com

Israeli airstrike kills Hamas official as Gaza death toll passes 50,000

Gaza residents report escalation in Israel's campaign

Israeli official orders evacuation in Rafah neighbourhood

Hamas says Bardaweel and his wife killed

An Israeli airstrike in southern Gaza killed a Hamas political leader, Salah al-Bardaweel, on Sunday, the Hamas said, as Palestinian officials put the death toll from nearly 18 months of conflict at over 50,000.

After two months of relative calm in the war, Gazans have again been fleeing for their lives after Israel effectively abandoned a ceasefire, launching a new all-out air and ground campaign on Tuesday.

Explosions echoed throughout the north, central and southern Gaza Strip early on Sunday, as Israeli planes hit several targets in those areas in what witnesses said was an escalation of the attacks that began earlier in the week.

At least 30 Palestinians had been killed in Israeli strikes on Rafah and Khan Younis so far on Sunday, health authorities said. Those killed included three municipal employees, medics said.

Hamas said the airstrike on Khan Younis killed Bardaweel and his wife. The Israeli military later on Sunday confirmed in a statement that it killed al-Bardaweel.

Bardaweel was a member of the Hamas decision-making body, the political office, and had held posts such as heading the Hamas delegation for indirect truce talks with Israel in 2009 and led the group's media office in 2005.

"His blood, that of his wife and martyrs, will remain fuelling the battle of liberation and independence," the group said.

Hamas has accused Israel of breaking the terms of the January ceasefire agreement by refusing to begin negotiations for an end to the war and a withdrawal of its troops from Gaza. But Hamas has said it is still willing to negotiate and was studying "bridging" proposals from US President Donald Trump's special envoy, Steve Witkoff.

At least 50,021 Palestinians have been killed and 113,274 wounded since the beginning of the war, the health ministry said in a statement on Sunday.

Israeli military spokesperson Avichay Adraee issued an evacuation warning on X for residents in the Tel Al-Sultan neighbourhood in western Rafah in the south of the strip.

Dozens of families quit their homes in Tel Al-Sultan heading northward to Khan Younis, some on foot, while others carried their belongings and children on donkey carts and rickshaws.

"When the ceasefire began, we returned to put up tents next to the ruins of our homes, dreaming that soon our homes would be rebuilt," said Abu Khaled, a Rafah resident.

"Now we are fleeing under fire for maybe the 10th time, when will we ever rest? When will there ever be peace in this city?" he told Reuters via a chat app.

The Palestinian Civil Emergency Service said 50,000 residents remained trapped in Rafah after they were surprised by an Israeli army raid into their areas, warning their lives, and those of rescue teams, were at risk.

Palestinian and international officials also warned about the return of the risk of famine in the enclave.

"Every day without food inches Gaza closer to an acute hunger crisis. Banning aid is a collective punishment on Gaza: the vast majority of its population are children, women & ordinary men," the head of the United Nations agency on Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, Philippe Lazzarin posted on X.

Related Story

Screenshots from a video circulated on social media that purportedly show the Turkish-Palestinian Friendship Hospital before and after being blown up by the Israeli military on Friday.

Smoke rises from Taibeh, following Israeli strikes in response to cross-border rocket fire, as seen from Marjayoun in southern Lebanon, on Saturday. REUTERS

Read full news in source page