All the latest Manchester United news and transfer gossip as Chelsea prepare to make final Jadon Sancho decision
Comments
Sport
Jadon Sancho of Chelsea during the Premier League match between Arsenal FC and Chelsea FC at Emirates Stadium on March 16, 2025
Jadon Sancho during Chelsea's clash against Arsenal(Image: Photo by Shaun Brooks - CameraSport via Getty Images)
Jadon Sancho reportedly faces an uncertain future at Chelsea despite an obligation-to-buy clause in his contract. The 24-year-old winger joined the Blues on loan from Manchester United at the end of the summer transfer window in search of more first-team opportunities.
He enjoyed a brilliant start to life at Stamford Bridge, providing an assist in each of his first three appearances. Sancho later helped Enzo Maresca's side go on a five-game win streak in the Premier League, with goals against Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur.
While the England international hasn't found the net since December, Chelsea have still managed to climb into the top four. The West Londoners look well-positioned to secure Champions League qualification, but Sancho hasn't exactly set the world alight.
So, with that being said, the Manchester Evening News has rounded up everything you need to know about Sancho and his future at United.
Chelsea 'set to activate clause'
According to The Telegraph, the obligation-to-buy clause – which is worth between £20m and £25m – will be activated if Chelsea can finish 14th or above in the Premier League this season. With nine games to be played, the Blues are currently fourth with 49 points.
Sancho shows true Chelsea colours
Speaking to the official Chelsea website upon his arrival in West London, Sancho said: "London is where I grew up and I’m happy to be back. Chelsea is iconic. My idols growing up were Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard and now I have the opportunity to play for this club like them. It’s a great feeling."
Maresca makes Sancho feelings clear
Then, in September, Maresca said: "Very happy, very happy for him. He was very good. I have a feeling that Jadon is a guy that needs love. This is what I thought when I spoke with him before he joined us. Also I know he has the desire to show the player he is, but for me, it is just to enjoy football.
"This is the reason why they play. Jadon helped us a lot but what he did tonight is exactly what we expected from him. As I said, I know Jadon very good because I watched him many, many times in the past and I know what he can give us."
Ratcliffe questions Sancho transfer
In an interview with BBC Sport earlier this month, Sir Jim Ratcliffe questioned why United signed Sancho from Borussia Dortmund in 2021 for £73m. The British billionaire said: "If you look at the players we are buying this summer, that we didn’t buy, we’re buying Antony, we’re buying Casemiro, we’re buying Onana, we’re buying Hojlund, we’re buying Sancho.
"These are all things from the past, whether we like it or not, we’ve inherited those things and have to sort that out. For Sancho, who now plays for Chelsea and we pay half his wages, we’re paying £17m to buy him in the summer. It takes time for us to move away from the past into a new place in the future."
Chelsea 'could pull plug' on Sancho transfer
Shortly after Ratcliffe's bombshell interview, The Independent revealed that Chelsea can back out of the deal to sign Sancho on a permanent basis by paying United a penalty fee. While the exact amount remains unknown, the sum has been described as a 'significant portion' of the pre-agreed total.
United 'grant Amorim final say'
According to ESPN, United will let Ruben Amorim make the final decision on Sancho's future in the unlikely event that he returns to Old Trafford this summer. The Englishman has showed glimpses of great promise at Chelsea, but he's struggled to maintain a rich vein of form.