aa.com.tr

US wants 'full dismantlement' of Iran's nuclear program: Trump's adviser

**WASHINGTON**

The US is seeking the "full dismantlement" of Iran's nuclear program, White House National Security Adviser Mike Waltz said Sunday.

"Full dismantlement. Iran has to give up its program in a way that the entire world can see," Waltz told the CBS News program Face the Nation.

His remarks came after President Donald Trump sent a letter to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei earlier this month seeking a deal that would prevent Tehran from possessing nuclear capabilities.

Khamenei dismissed Trump’s remarks, saying "the claim by the US president that they are ready to negotiate is a deception of world public opinion.”

"As President Trump has said, this is coming to a head. All options are on the table and it is time for Iran to walk away completely from its desire to have a nuclear weapon," Waltz said.

If they had nuclear weapons, the entire Middle East would explode in an arms race, he argued, adding: "That is completely unacceptable to our national security."

He also warned Iran, saying: "Give it up, or there will be consequences."

In 2018, then-President Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and reimposed sanctions on Tehran.

Despite complying with the nuclear agreement for over a year after the US withdrawal, Iran gradually reduced its commitments, citing the failure of the deal’s remaining signatories to protect its interests.

[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)

Read full news in source page