manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Man United icon Cristiano Ronaldo keeps promise to Rasmus Hojlund after celebration controversy

Portugal went on to beat Denmark 5-2 in the Nations League on Sunday to book a place in the semi-finals of the competition

Comments

Sport

Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo celebrating during Portugal's win over Denmark

(Image: AP)

Cristiano Ronaldo kept his promise to Rasmus Hojlund after the Manchester United striker's controversial celebration during Denmark's 1-0 win over Portugal last week.

Their two-legged affair got off to a start in Copenhagen on Thursday night with the Danes winning on home soil. Hojlund, who was benched to begin with, later came on to score the only goal between the sides and performed Ronaldo's iconic 'siu' celebration as the 40-year-old watched on.

Article continues below

The 22-year-old came under criticism for his gesture but Hojlund explained he meant no disrespect. "I’m playing against the world’s best footballer, my idol, and to score a goal and win the match... it couldn’t be better," said Hojlund.

"It’s for my idol. It’s not like I’m mocking him or anything. I’ve just always said that he has a lot of importance to me and my football career. It’s maybe a bit ambivalent, but scoring against him and Portugal is huge. I was there and saw him in 2009 when he scored from a free kick and I’ve been a fan ever since."

Prior to the second leg in Lisbon, Ronaldo spoke about Hojlund's actions and said there is no ill-feeling between the pair. "It's no problem for me. I know it wasn't out of disrespect," the superstar said.

"It is not only him who does my celebration around the world. I'm smart enough to understand that. For me it is an honour..

Ronaldo said he wanted to perform his iconic celebration - something he duly delivered. He said: "I hope to do it in front of him tomorrow [on Sunday]. It will be good. I'm glad he likes my celebration."

On Sunday, after missing a penalty, the 40-year-old went on to score Portugal's second goal in the second half and brought out the iconic 'siu' celebration in front of a jam-packed Estadio Jose Alvalade.

But that was short lived as former United teammate Christian Eriksen put his country ahead minutes later. However, Portugal went on to win 5-2 (5-3 on aggregate) during extra-time and qualified for the semi-finals of the Nations League.

Taking to Instagram after the game, Ronaldo shared some pictures along with the caption: "What a night, Portugal!"

Content cannot be displayed without consent

Ronaldo and Co will face Germany in the next round, with the two-legged ties set to be played at the start of June.

Here at the Manchester Evening News, we’re dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.

Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group.

You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.

You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day’s biggest stories.

And finally, if you’d rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate.

Article continues below

Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.

Read full news in source page