Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe celebrates with the trophy
Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe celebrates with the trophy
It's officially Newcastle United's Carabao Cup trophy parade week as supporters prepare to flock to the city centre to see their Magpies heroes lift that precious silverware yet again. A comprehensive set of plans are still being worked on to ensure as many fans as possible are able to witness the historic occasion in person this weekend.
The main celebration, as it stands, will take place at the Town Moor on Saturday March 29, with special guests teased and live music assured. United's players and staff will also take to the stage as part of the event, while Newcastle sponsor Sela have grand plans for the day too.
As we count down to the big day, here's what we know about the parade celebration so far.
Newcastle's plans are still in the works
Further announcements are to be expected in the coming days as Newcastle continue to work with authorities over the size and scope of their plans. The club remain confident they are set to put on a celebration that will meet fans' expectations.
An open-top bus parade may still be possible but as of Monday morning, no decision has been made by the city's authorities, with talks ongoing. The last time Newcastle held a similar parade was in the 1990s, after cup final defeats to Arsenal and Manchester United.
Speaking previously, Alan Shearer admitted: "We did open-top bus parades after being beaten twice in the cup finals which make you think... how f---ing stupid is this?"
Fans have called for a similar city-wide procession this time around and talks are continuing to assess whether this will be possible.
What has been announced so far?
While some aspects of the day remain in the works, Newcastle have still announced a comprehensive package of plans for supporters to enjoy.
Eddie Howe and his first team players will be on stage to life the trophy again for the first time since the win at Wembley. Fans on the Town Moor will also be able to watch live DJs, live bands and potentially some very special musical guests.
There will also be ‘Road to Wembley’ highlights shown, as well as a full screening of the cup final for fans who want to relive the occasion once again. Sela will end close the day out with a 'spectacular show'.
Supporters can arrive at the Town Moor from 1.30pm and the event will finish at 8pm.
Complications encountered
Local police services have been told to cancel any leave for Saturday March 29, with Newcastle's rivals Sunderland hosting Millwall at the Stadium of Light on the same day. Large swathes of Millwall fans will therefore be heading to the North East, with some likely arriving at Newcastle's Central Station in the hours before kick-off.
Metro or local train routes will then be needed for the trip to Wearside, leading to a greater police presence needed around the stations. Police are confident of avoiding trouble around the Stadium of Light clash and have no concerns about Millwall fans but with resources stretched, it currently remains to be seen whether appropriate staffing numbers will be on hand to man both events safely.
Road closures are set to be announced in due course. A Newcastle City Council spokesperson said: “We are working closely with Newcastle United to finalise details for the eagerly anticipated Carabao Cup celebrations which will be a fantastic day in the city.
"Full details of road closures for this major event will be confirmed in the coming days. However, as with any big event in the city, people are advised to plan ahead and use public transport where possible and allow extra time for travel as we expect lots of people will want to be part of this exciting event.”
Registration now closed
Newcastle's trophy event is free to attend but registration was required to give the club and relevant authorities the chance to assess the potential numbers in attendance.
Season ticket holders could register from Friday March 21 at 1pm, with members getting the chance to express their interest two hours later. All other supporters could register from 10am the next day.
The registration period has now officially closed as of midnight on Sunday March 23. Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times and will not be allowed access unless accompanied. The event is also alcohol free.
What fans have said
Some supporters have voiced their disappointment over the lack of an open top bus parade but the message from key decision makers around the city is that no firm decision has been made on that front just yet.
Newcastle Central and West MP, Chi Onwurah, this week posted on X: "To all the @NUFC fans who have contacted me - some very upset! - about the lack of an open top parade to celebrate the #CarabaoCup, @NewcastleCC will support any decision they make and #NUFC say more details are to come... so hang in there!"
The message is clear - the plans remain unfinished and any supporters currently unhappy at the lack of a city-wide procession may get their wish should the event prove manageable.