chroniclelive.co.uk

Newcastle United chief makes Sunderland trophy taunt as club drop hint on 'special weekend'

John Moncur and Darren Eales show off the Carabao Cup at half time as NUFC take on Sunderland in the WSL2

John Moncur and Darren Eales show off the Carabao Cup at half time as NUFC take on Sunderland in the WSL2

Newcastle United CEO Darren Eales has admitted he has been blown away by reaction of the North-East after the Magpies ended their 70-year trophy drought.

A week on from the Carabao Cup victory over the club made the decision to strike while the iron was hot and parade it at St James' Park for the Newcastle women's derby against Sunderland, which the Magpies won 1-0 thanks to Shania Hayles' strike late on. Both Eales and Bob Moncur were roared on to the hallowed turf by a record crowd for a Barclays Women's Championship game of 38,502.

The clash included plenty of banter between the 800 Sunderland fans and the Newcastle faithful with chants of "Stand up if you hate the Mags" coming from the Leazes End corner before a response of "Stand up if you've won the cup" fired back.

When addressing the crowd Eales quipped: "We were aware that it was going to be a big deal, but it is only when you win it you realise how excited everyone was. Everyone in the North East and it is nice for the Sunderland fans here to see the trophy and share it with them."

Moncur told Chronicle Live: "The fans wanted to win something, and the Carabao Cup was it. It's the first step and hopefully the first of many. It was an honour to show the fans."

As Moncur and Eales left the field there was a new hint on the trophy parade which takes place next Saturday with a Sela event scheduled on the Town Moor. The PA announcer said: "All the plans are taking place right now for a really special weekend on Saturday. As soon as we have rubber-stamped all those details and everything that goes with it, we will let you know. Keep an eye on our socials."

A United statement read last week: "United will celebrate the club’s historic Carabao Cup Final victory with a free open-air event on Saturday 29th March. Supporters will get the chance to see Eddie Howe and the first team players with the cup for the first time since last Sunday’s famous win at Wembley.

"Set around a large main stage on the Town Moor, adjacent to the Great North Road, the open-air event will be free to attend. Supporters are asked to register their interest to assist with planning. The team will then proudly lift the Carabao Cup on stage – presenting the club’s first domestic trophy for 70 years to the city. The celebrations will close with a spectacular show from club partner Sela and further event details will be published ahead of the show."

The club remain in talks with Northumbria Police and Newcastle City Council.

Read full news in source page