Alexander Isak of Newcastle United celebrates with the Carabao Cup trophy
Alexander Isak of Newcastle United celebrates with the Carabao Cup trophy
A bus parade to celebrate Newcastle United's Carabao Cup win has not been blocked and talks about holding one remain in the works, council bosses say.
The football club announced plans last week to stage a huge event on the Town Moor this coming Saturday, March 29, where fans will be able to see Eddie Howe and his players with the Carabao Cup trophy. But many supporters have been left disappointed that there has yet to be an announcement of a traditional open top bus parade through the city that would allow more people to join in the festivities, with fans having been told that they must register an interest online for the Town Moor event and even then are not guaranteed access.
It is understood that talks are continuing between city authorities, including NUFC, Newcastle City Council, and Northumbria Police, and there remains hope that details can be finalised that would allow a bus parade to go ahead. On Monday morning, city council leader Karen Kilgour made clear that civic centre officials have not said ‘no’ to the prospect of a parade – though added that the idea needed to be “thoroughly assessed” to make sure it could go ahead safely.
The lifelong Magpies fan and St James’ Park season ticket holder added she wanted the celebrations to mark the club’s first domestic trophy in 70 years to be “bigger and better” than the parades held in the 1990s following consecutive FA Cup final defeats. Coun Kilgour said: “Newcastle United’s cup win was an outstanding achievement, and the joy of that success has been felt right across the city since that historic day at Wembley, an occasion I was honoured to experience in person.
“Eddie Howe and his team have written themselves into Newcastle folklore, and it’s right that people want to honour them. As early as Tuesday, I’d put the wheels in motion to confer Eddie with the city’s highest honour by nominating him for Honorary Freedom of the City. I know what this means to Newcastle.
“Like all supporters, at the council we’re keen to celebrate this historic occasion and we’ve been working closely with the club, the emergency services, the Freemen and other partners to support their plans in any way we can. Our teams have guided and advised in any way they’ve been able, we haven’t blocked the holding of a parade, and we’ve been doing our upmost to facilitate the plans the club have presented.
“The anticipated crowds for Saturday’s celebration, to mark the end of a 70-year wait for domestic silverware, are expected to make it among the biggest events ever held in the city. The safety of those attending and the local communities and businesses affected by this must be the priority of all partners involved. The widespread impact needs to be thoroughly assessed to ensure it can go ahead safely, but it is wrong to suggest we have said ‘no’ to a parade through our beloved city.
“Our teams will continue to liaise with the club and other partners to make this the best celebration it can possibly be to recognise the magnitude of the club’s success and, just as importantly, what it means to our city and our residents.
“We’re all keen to see a spectacular event, that is free and accessible to everybody who wishes to be part of this moment in history, and we look forward to working with partners to see further details announced as soon as they can be. As a lifelong fan I remember the parades through the city centre when we didn’t even lift a trophy. They were special memories and I want children and families in this city to have that same experience on an even bigger and better scale.”
Newcastle United, Northumbria Police, the North East Ambulance Service, and the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service were contacted for a response.
Join our Breaking News and Top Stories WhatsApp community
Join our Breaking News and Top Stories WhatsApp community for all the latest news direct to your phone.
To join you need to have WhatsApp on your device. All you need to do is choose which community you want to join, click on the link and press 'join community'.
No one will be able to see who is signed up and no one can send messages except the ChronicleLive team.
We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners.
If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. To leave our community click on the name at the top of your screen and choose 'exit group'.
If you’re curious, you can read our privacy notice.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN