**ISTANBUL**
Baku on Monday announced the return of 18 Azerbaijani citizens, months after three Azerbaijani-flagged vessels and their crew were detained by Eritrea upon entering its territorial waters.
A statement from the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry said the 18 crew members, who had been detained since November, were released and returned after “long-term” negotiations involving a joint effort from the country’s foreign and transport ministries, as well as Azerbaijan’s Caspian Shipping Company.
The statement said the crew members had been provided with consular support during this time through Azerbaijan’s diplomatic mission in Ethiopia, adding that relevant measures were taken to address their needs.
“We express our deep gratitude to the Embassy of the Republic of Türkiye in the State of Eritrea, which has provided close support in this process,” the statement added.
On Nov. 7, 2024, three ships belonging to the Azerbaijan branch of Caspian Marine Services B.V. and their crew were detained off the coast of Eritrea after entering the country’s territorial waters amid worsening weather conditions.
The ships tried to contact Eritrean authorities before entering the country's territorial waters but were unsuccessful, according to local media reports on Jan. 8, citing a statement by Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry Spokesman Aykhan Hajizada.
The vessels were traveling from the Suez Canal to the United Arab Emirates’ capital Abu Dhabi, Hajizada said, adding that a diplomatic note had been sent to Eritrean authorities through the East African nation's embassies in Ethiopia and Russia.
[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)