aa.com.tr

Lebanese army removes Israeli barriers in southern border towns

**BEIRUT**

The Lebanese army said Monday that it dismantled and removed structures left by Israeli forces after they exited areas of southern Lebanon.

“Following our previous report on bulldozing operations conducted by hostile (Israeli) units in the Katmoun Valley near Rmeish on March 23, army units worked to remove an earthen barrier and fill a trench erected by the Israeli enemy in the area,” the military said in a statement, adding that troops also cleared barbed wire in the nearby town of Aitaroun.

The army also emphasized that its command continues to monitor the situation in southern Lebanon in coordination with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

The move follows Israel’s escalation of attacks on Lebanon on Saturday after claiming a northern settlement faced a rocket attack from Lebanese territory—an accusation that the Lebanese Hezbollah group denied. Those strikes killed six people and injured 31 according to an Anadolu tally based on official Lebanese sources.

A fragile ceasefire had been in place in Lebanon since November, ending months of cross-border warfare between Israel and Hezbollah which escalated into a full-scale conflict in September.

Lebanese authorities reported over 1,200 Israeli violations of the ceasefire, including the deaths of 100 people and injuries to more than 330.

Under the ceasefire deal, Israel was supposed to fully withdraw from southern Lebanon by Jan. 26, but the deadline was extended to Feb. 18 after it refused to comply. It still maintains a military presence at five border outposts.

[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)

Read full news in source page