footballinsider247.com

Stefan Borson: Man City called Sky Sports after 115 charges contoversy

Stefan Borson

Tue 25 March 2025 9:45, UK

Manchester City are expected to hear the verdict in their legal battle with the Premier League soon after being handed 115 charges more than two years ago.

An independent commission hearing into the case started in September last year and ended in December, with the panel now considering its verdict.

The Premier League champions are accused of breaching the financial fair play (FFP) rules over a nine-year period and concealing payments through third parties by disguising them as sponsorship revenue.

The Mail reported on 17 March Sky Sports has written to its pundits urging them “not to make snap judgements” and “stick to the facts” when commenting on the imminent verdict.

Former Man City financial adviser Stefan Borson exclusively told Football Insider Etihad chiefs likely called the broadcaster following Tim Sherwood’s controversial comments about the club’s transfer business earlier this year.

Speaking on Gillette Soccer Saturday on 25 January, Sherwood said: “They seem to be the only team who can spend money, and they’ve got 115 [charges] over their head.”

MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES

Sky Sports was forced to apologise live on air following the comments.

Man City spent around £200million on January signings, with Omar Marmoush, Abdukodir Khusanov, Vitor Reis and Nico Gonzalez all making the move to the Etihad.

Man City

(Credit: Getty Images)

Sky Sports facing ‘big’ challenge in Man City 115 charges case

Borson suggested Sky Sports is likely ensuring its pundits don’t say anything about Man City’s 115 charges case that is immediately contradicted by the actual verdict.

He told Football Insider: “This is going to be a big challenge for everybody to figure out how to cover the story just because of how difficult the decision might be to digest for the public.

“I think all they’re trying to say is let’s not effectively say things that are immediately contradicted by the actual decision because we’re just going to look quite silly and have to potentially reverse our position on some of this stuff.

“I think this might have been triggered by something that was said recently on Soccer Saturday by Tim Sherwood.

“He made some comments on there, which they literally had to apologise for during the show.

“I suspect that was because City picked up the phone and said ‘There is a limit. There is the opportunity for fair comment in terms of discussing these matters, but there is an obligation to be fair to the club in terms of the way that it’s reported’.

“I think that’s what’s in the background. It is a perfectly reasonable view as to fairness.”

Position Club Games Points GD

3 Nottingham Forest 29 54 +14

4 Chelsea 29 49 +16

5 Manchester City 29 48 +15

6 Newcastle United 28 47 +9

7 Brighton 29 47 +6

Premier League table (as of 25/03/2025)

Man City and Liverpool race to sign Adam Wharton

Football Insider revealed on 14 March Crystal Palace are not under pressure to sell Adam Wharton in the summer transfer window.

Man City and Liverpool are interested in Wharton, while Spanish giants Real Madrid are also among the sides linked with the 21-year-old.

The midfielder has impressed for Palace since making the move from Blackburn Rovers in a £22million deal in February 2024.

For more Man City news, follow us on Facebook or join our brand new WhatsApp Channel for instant updates to be sent straight to your phone.

Related Posts

Read full news in source page