Newcastle United's Dan Burn (centre) lifts the trophy after winning the Carabao Cup final at Wembley Stadium, London. Picture date: Sunday March 16, 2025.
Newcastle United lifted the Carabao Cup at Wembley after beating Liverpool 2-1.
Timings and road closure details for Newcastle United’s Carabao Cup trophy parade have been confirmed.
The football club announced on Monday (24 March) that an open top bus parade would be staged on Saturday (29 March), ahead of a celebration event on the Town Moor.
Newcastle City Council has now confirmed that the parade will take place from St James’ Park, through Newcastle city centre, and to the Town Moor between 4pm and 6pm on Saturday.
The bus is due to leave the stadium heading towards Gallowgate, before turning onto Percy Street, heading onto the B1318 Great North Road, in the direction of Gosforth, and then stopping at the Town Moor.
Numerous road closures will be needed across the day to allow the bus parade and the Town Moor party to go ahead, with tens of thousands of Geordies expected to line the streets to catch a glimpse of their Wembley heroes.
Supporters will need to plan their journeys ahead of time.
The following roads will be closed on a rolling basis between 4pm and 6pm to allow fans to access the open top bus parade:
Barrack Road, from Stanhope Street to St. James Boulevard
Gallowgate
St James Boulevard, from Westgate Road to Gallowgate
Percy Street
Blackett Street
New Bridge Street West (Westbound), from John Dobson Street to Pilgrim Street
Barras Bridge
St. Mary’s Place, from John Dobson Street to Barras Bridge/Percy Street
Thousands of Newcastle fans saw the victory at Wembley and the event announced by the club will give thousands more the chance to celebrate. Credit: PA
Road closures for the Town Moor event will also include:
Great North Road, from Blue House roundabout to Claremont Road including the slip roads from Central Motorway north and southbound to Barras Bridge and Great North Road, from 12 noon to 9.30pm
Barras Bridge, between St Marys Place and Claremont Road, closed from 4pm to 9.30pm
Claremont Road, between Queen Victoria Road and Barras Bridge, closed from 4pm to 9.30pm
## Newcastle United confirm open-top bus parade to celebrate Carabao Cup win## Newcastle United announce plans to celebrate historic Carabao Cup victory
The city council had previously clarified on Monday that it had not blocked a procession from being held – hours before the football club announced that one would go ahead.
The local authority said that it had been “working closely with the club throughout, but events of this scale take careful planning and input from partners before being finalised”, the Local Democracy Reporting Service reported.
Councillor Karen Kilgour, leader of Newcastle City Council, added: “This is a monumental and exciting event for the city as we come together to celebrate this amazing achievement.
“We know how much this event means to the city, and we’ve worked closely with our partners to ensure that everyone can be part of this historic occasion.
“This will be one of the biggest events we have seen in the city, and the safety of everyone attending is paramount. With huge crowds expected, we want everyone to enjoy it and get there and home safely so there will be a number of road closures required, and we’re asking people to plan ahead and use public transport.
“I am sure it will be a fantastic and proud day for our city and I can’t wait to be there.”
A Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We would work closely with our regional and blue light partners to ensure the public safety of residents, businesses and visitors to the city during an event of this magnitude, as people come together to celebrate the cup winning achievements of Newcastle United.”
Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...