teamtalk.com

Trent Alexander-Arnold: Nine Liverpool replacement options as fears grow Real Madrid move is on

Liverpool right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold is closing in on a move to Real Madrid and TEAMtalk has taken a look at nine potential replacements for the 26-year-old.

Alexander-Arnold played an integral role in Liverpool’s success under Jurgen Klopp but has now entered the final three months of his contract at Anfield.

The England international has reportedly rejected Liverpool’s final contract proposal and agreed personal terms with Madrid.

We’ve taken a look at nine players who could replace the right-back at Anfield.

Jeremie Frimpong

Frimpong is a prime candidate to fill the void left by Alexander-Arnold should he leave Liverpool at the end of the 2024/25 season.

The 24-year-old joined Bayer Leverkusen from Celtic in January 2021 and his game has reached new heights under the guidance of Xabi Alonso.

He has a high offensive output and registered 14 goals and 12 assists in 47 appearances in 2023/24 as Leverkusen won the Bundesliga title and reached the Europa League final.

TEAMtalk understands that Liverpool have already initiated talks with Bayer Leverkusen about a move for the Netherlands international.

He has a €40million (£33.1m/$42.2m) release clause in his contract and has previously admitted that a switch to Anfield would be an exciting prospect.

“Liverpool is a great club with history,” Frimpong said last year. “That would be great. Who knows what the future will bring.”

WOW JEREMIE FRIMPONG THAT IS INCREDIBLE! 🤯🤩 pic.twitter.com/RB5hJJ8g4l

— Sky Sports Football (@SkyFootball) February 10, 2024

Jules Kounde

While Kounde is a centre-back by trade, he moved to the right-back position after joining Barcelona in the summer of 2022.

The France international is a brilliant one-on-one defender and has produced great performances against the likes of Vinicius Junior, Kylian Mbappe, Rafael Leao and Jeremy Doku.

He has also worked on the attacking side of his game and has set up eight goals in 2024/25, including a hat-trick of assists in Barcelona’s 5-2 win over Red Star Belgrade in the Champions League.

Kounde is now an indispensable part of the Barcelona side under new coach Hansi Flick, who has praised the defender for his work ethic and fitness levels.

But Barcelona have endured a series of well-publicised financial difficulties and they have to sanction a high-profile departure next summer.

According to reports in Spain, Liverpool are lining up a €55million (£47.5m / $57.2m) bid for the 26-year-old but Barcelona will demand as much as €75million (£62.2m / $78m).

Lutsharel Geertruida

Slot will already be very familiar with Geertruida, having worked with him during his three-and-a-half years at Feyenoord.

The right-back – who can also play at centre-back and left-back – made 127 appearances under the manager and captained the Eredivisie club in the 2023/24 season.

“Arne managed to get the best out of me,” he said. “He was never afraid to give me some harsh truths and was always correct in what he said about me.

“I believe he was a game changer for Feyernoord as soon as he arrived in Rotterdam. We always looked to play a dominant style of football, no matter the opponent.”

Despite being linked with Liverpool in the summer, a move failed to materialise and he joined Bundesliga side RB Leipzig in a €25million (£20.7m/ $26m) deal.

But Alexander-Arnold’s departure would open up a space for a new right-back at Anfield and Slot could seek a reunion with the Netherlands international.

Pedro Porro

Since joining Tottenham from Sporting CP in January 2023, Porro has established himself as one of the best right-backs in the Premier League.

The Spain international has thrived in Ange Postecoglou’s possession-based system and has registered 23 goal contributions in the Premier League since his debut in the top flight.

That puts him just behind Alexander-Arnold, who has 24 direct goal contributions for Liverpool in the Premier League in the same time frame.

Tottenham’s no.23 has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, although the La Liga side won’t need to sign him if they secure Alexander-Arnold’s signature.

But Porro won’t come cheap and Tottenham could demand a fee upwards of £60million (€71.6m / $74.7m) to part ways with the 25-year-old.

Pedro Porro’s picture perfect @SpursOfficial goal v Man City 😍 pic.twitter.com/UtvRBRmoOu

— Premier League (@premierleague) November 27, 2024

Malo Gusto

Gusto arrived at Chelsea from Lyon in the summer of 2023 and enjoyed a brilliant debut season, helping fill the void of the injury-prone Reece James.

He has struggled to replicate that form under Enzo Mareca and recently changed agents, prompting speculation about a potential transfer.

Sources have revealed to TEAMtalk that the France international has been identified by Liverpool as a potential target.

But the 21-year-old is under contract at Stamford Bridge until the end of the 2029/30 season and it would take a huge fee to lure him to Anfield.

Denzel Dumfries

Dumfries has spent the last four seasons at Inter Milan and has registered 19 goals and 22 assists in 170 appearances for the club, helping them win back-to-back Coppa Italia titles and a Serie A title.

The 28-year-old was set to become a free agent at the end of the 2024/25 season but has now signed a new contract with Inter that will hold him to the club until 2028.

While his contract extension has undoubtedly made a transfer more unlikely, he has previously expressed a desire to play in England.

“It’s no secret that I would like to play in the Premier League, I love that league and my style of play suits English football,” he admitted.

Vanderson

Vanderson joined Monaco from Gremio in January 2022 and is now regarded as one of the best young full-backs in Europe’s top five leagues.

His main strengths lie in the defensive third of the pitch, and he has been averaging 3.3 successful tackles and 1.7 interceptions per 90 minutes in Ligue 1 this season.

But the 23-year-old can also contribute in attack and set up both of Monaco’s goals in their win over Barcelona in the Champions League this season.

A number of Premier League and European clubs have been credited with an interest in the Brazil international and Monaco will reportedly listen to an offer of around €25million (£20.7m/ $26m).

Vanderson DE OLIVEIRA CAMPOS of Monaco during the French championship Ligue 1 football match between LOSC Lille and AS Monaco

Ola Aina

Aina has been one of the Premier League’s standout full-backs this season, starring for a Nottingham Forest side that are currently third in the table.

The 28-year-old is renowned for his defensive prowess and produced a brilliant performance against Luis Diaz during Forest’s 1-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield.

“Ola Aina, the right-back, his performance at Anfield was one of the best performances I’ve seen in the Premier League this season,” former Arsenal striker Ian Wright said.

His contract at the City Ground is due to expire at the end of the season, although Forest have the option to extend it by another year.

Conor Bradley

Liverpool might not have to dip into the transfer market as they have a ready-made replacement for Alexander-Arnold in Bradley.

He enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2023/24 and played against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup final win after Alexander-Arnold missed the game through injury.

While the 21-year-old doesn’t have the same passing range as his Liverpool teammate, he has an impressive all-round game and offers more defensive solidity.

He has largely had to bide his time on the substitutes bench in 2024/25 but has the talent to make the Liverpool right-back position his own.

“I wouldn’t say Trent Alexander-Arnold, Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah are all irreplaceable,” former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson said.

“I think Conor Bradley has the makings of an outstanding full-back if Trent were to leave. He’s shown that he’s ready to start more for the first team and already has a number of good displays to point to.”

READ MORE :The stunning Liverpool XI without TAA, Van Dijk and Salah as FIVE giant summer signings planned

Read full news in source page