Newcastle United forward Anthony Gordon
Newcastle United forward Anthony Gordon
Newcastle United are hoping that Anthony Gordon won't require extra time on the sidelines after he picked up an injury while playing for England. The 24-year-old hasn't played for Eddie Howe's side since his straight red card against Brighton & Hove Albion in the FA Cup, resulting in a three-game club domestic ban.
He missed the 1-0 win at West Ham and the Carabao Cup success against Liverpool but still has one more game to miss. Newcastle host Brentford next on Wednesday, April 2 before Gordon is eligible to return for the trip to struggling Leicester City on Monday, April 7.
However, the Magpies were concerned that Gordon could miss longer after he limped off injured during England's 2-0 win over Albania last Friday. Shortly after coming on in the 74th minute, Gordon sustained a nasty-looking blow to his hip. He received medical attention on the pitch before going off.
On Sunday, it was confirmed that Gordon had withdrawn from the England squad and returned to Newcastle for treatment. It meant that the former Everton winger missed England's 3-0 win over Latvia on Monday.
While Gordon's injury looked a serious one, it appears that it's not as bad as first feared. "It's just a matter of pain, there’s a big bruise around the hip region and he’s unable to walk properly," England boss Thomas Tuchel said.
"He left camp. He has a huge bruise around the hip region and was it so painful he couldn't even walk properly. He needs some time to heal and to get better. That's why he left camp. It’s a shame because he had a good chance to start, and I'm sad that he is now out.
"He was so happy to play and get some minutes for us. He had a red card, then he got sick - he came a bit late into camp - and gets his minutes and gets straightaway injured. I’m sad for him but we cannot change it, and I think he still needs a couple of days rest, so he's with his family now to get the rest and we find other solutions."
As Gordon has 16 days to recover for Newcastle's trip to Leicester, there is confidence that he could be back fit for the game at King Power Stadium.
Meanwhile, Kieran Trippier gave Newcastle fans a scare in the first half of the Carabao Cup final when he appeared to pull up holding his right hamstring on 38 minutes.
Although Trippier managed to last the full 100 minutes, he travelled out to Dubai with the training squad, where he has been assessed by the medical staff during the warm weather break.
Sven Botman was ruled out of the Carabao Cup final a week beforehand, after suffering a fresh knee injury. The Netherlands centre-back has had a problem with fluid on his opposite knee to the one he had an Anterior Cruciate Ligament operation on last year, but it was enough to see him go under the knife.
Eddie Howe said: "He felt the same problem in his knee. So, looks like he'll now have to have a small op just to clear out some fluid. We hope he should be back in about eight weeks."
Lewis Hall was devastated to be ruled out for the rest of the season with a foot and ankle injury. Hall had been one of Newcastle's best performers this season and won his first England caps off the back of his form.
Newcastle United Carabao Cup WINNERS 2024/25
At last, Newcastle have their hands on silverware!
After an agonising 56-year wait, the Magpies' amazing army of fans can celebrate watching their side lift a trophy after their Carabao Cup final win. And to celebrate, the Newcastle Chronicle have produced this souvenir special, marking the Wembley triumph.
undefined
It is packed full of reaction, analysis and quotes as well as amazing pictures from the day, and a centre-spread poster.
It is the perfect souvenir of an historic day for Newcastle.
Buy now and have it delivered directly to your door. Alternatively you can purchase in most supermarkets, high street retailers and independent newsagents in the North East from March 20, 2025.