newcastleworld.com

107-goal striker tells Newcastle United exactly what they want to hear as free agent deal eyed

Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com

and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565

Visit Shots! now

Jonathan David’s words will go down nicely with Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe.

Newcastle United transfer target Jonathan David has vowed to make a “wise decision” when choosing his next club.

The 25-year-old is out of contract at Lille this summer and isn’t expected to extend his five-year stay at the French side. Having scored 107 goals in 224 appearances in that time, David is set to become one of the most sought after free agents in world football.

Hide Ad

Several Premier League clubs - Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham to name a few - have been linked with David, as have lots of clubs on the contingent. But as previously reported by NewcastleWorld, there is some confidence the Magpies can strike a deal.

Jonathan David addresses his future

And David’s most recent comments on his future will appeal nicely to United head coach Eddie Howe. David would likely arrive as second choice striker behind Alexander Isak but the Canadian has pledged to fight for his place wherever he ends up after admitting no position is guaranteed.

Speaking after netting the winner in Canada’s 2-1 CONCACAF Nations League victory over USA on Sunday, David told Golazo America: "Obviously, with this summer going on, I am not sure if I am staying or going. But if I do end up going, I have to push myself at the very highest level.

Click here to join NewcastleWorld's dedicated NUFC WhatsApp channel for news, videos and voice notes. CLICK THE BELLFOR NOTIFICATIONS.

“When you play for a big club, your position [in the team] is never guaranteed and you need to fight. I am never guaranteed anywhere I go to start every game and play every game, I have to perform. I am willing to fight. I know it's an important year. It is a big decision. I will make a wise decision.”

Hide Ad

Callum Wilson’s future

A move for David could depend on what happens with Callum Wilson in the remaining 10 games of the 2024-25 season. He too is out of contract this summer and there has been no talk of an extension.

The 33-year-old has been a prolific scorer for the Magpies since joining from AFC Bournemouth for £20million in 2022, with his 47 goals in 103 appearances putting him third in the club’s all-time Premier League goalscorer chart.

However, it is staying fit that has been Wilson’s biggest challenge with the number nine restricted to just two starts in all competitions this term.

Howe has previously warned it’d take a lot of money to replace Wilson with someone of similar quality.

Hide Ad

“Yes, I totally agree,” Howe said in February. “And that's why Callum's a really valuable player for us. I think it seems like the art of goal-scoring and strikers, that they're diminishing. I don't see a huge number of strikers in world football that can do what Callum can do.

“The big thing for us is, can we keep him fit, keep him on the pitch? And then there's no doubting his ability.”

YOUR NEXT READ: I would not be surprised if this Newcastle United & Liverpool swap deal happens - he'd be a really good fit.

Read full news in source page