straitstimes.com

Hdb eases income assessment rules to allow young couples to buy more expensive Bto units

SINGAPORE - The Housing Board will relax the way it assesses the income of young couples when they buy a Build-To-Order flat, making it easier for those who are still studying or just started working to buy more expensive units.

From the next BTO exercise in July, couples can choose to delay their income assessment for a housing loan until just before they collect the keys to their flat, as long as one party is a full-time student or national serviceman.

This would effectively mean that couples would be able to qualify for a higher loan amount as they would have been working for some time by then.

National Development Minister Desmond Lee announced this on March 26 at an engagement session about public housing at the National University of Singapore.

He also said 12,000 BTO flats with shorter waiting times of below three years will be launched from 2025 to 2027 - more than what HDB put out over the last five years. They will be among the over 50,000 flats the authorities will roll out in that period.

On relaxing the deferred income assessment criteria, Mr Lee said this would help couples settle down earlier and buy a four- or five-room flat if they plan to have children.

To qualify for deferred income assessment before this change, both parties would have to be either full-time students or national servicemen, or have completed their studies or national service in the 12 months before they applied for an HDB flat eligibility letter.

At least one of them must also be aged 30 or below.

“Each young couple’s life journey is different. Regardless of which path you take, if you are looking to settle down early... we hope to support you in achieving your housing aspirations,” Mr Lee told NUS students.

To illustrate how the deferred income assemment would help applicants buy larger flats, Mr Lee raised the example of a couple - where one person is studying and the other has worked for about a year - with a household income of $3,500 a month.

Previously, their budget would allow them to buy a three-room BTO flat in Yishun.

“However, the three-room flat might be small if they plan to have many children,” he said.

Under the expanded scheme, the couple can apply for a BTO flat first, and their HDB housing loan and assessment for the Enhanced Central Provident Fund (CPF) Housing Grant will be deferred for about three years, nearer to key collection.

“At that point, both parties would have started working. With a combined income of say $7,500, they will qualify for a sufficient loan to buy a four- or five-room BTO flat,” Mr Lee said.

He added that the scheme would also help couples who think a three-room flat is sufficient, but prefer to purchase a home closer to the city centre and amenities, which tend to be more expensive.

The initial downpayment they would have to fork out would be 2.5 per cent of the flat price.

More on this Topic

Mr Lee said the expansion of the scheme will benefit a wide range of young couples, such as university, polytechnic and Institute of Technical Education graduates.

In his speech, Mr Lee also addressed concerns about the stock of BTO flats and waiting times.

The authorities are on track to exceed its initial commitment to launch 100,000 new flats from 2021 to 2025, he said.

The median waiting time for BTO flats has been shorted to less than four years, comparable with pre-pandemic waiting times, he added.

Mr Lee also acknowledged the calls to lower the minimum age for singles to buy BTO and resale flats, currently set at 35.

This is something that the authorities are reviewing even though they are “not quite ready to do so”, he said.

He noted that singles were able to apply for two-room flexi flats in all locations from last October. From mid-2025, singles will also get priority access when they buy a home near or with their parents under the Family Care Scheme.

More on this Topic

Turning to housing affordability, Mr Lee acknowledged the anxiety felt by students after hearing about resale flats selling for more than $1 million.

“I want to assure you that there is a wide range of affordable housing for different housing budgets,” he said.

The new flat classification system, which sorts BTO projects into Standard, Plus and Prime categories based on their proximity to the city centre, transport connectivity and amenities, is meant to limit the “lottery effect” of owning flats in prime and central locations, Mr Lee said.

Plus and Prime flats will come with stricter resale conditions such as a 10-year minimum occupation period and a subsidy clawback.

They also have extra subsidies on top of existing BTO subsidies, to keep them affordable for first-timers, Mr Lee added.

Isabelle Liew is a journalist at The Straits Times. She covers housing issues in Singapore, with a focus on public housing.

More on this Topic

Join ST's WhatsApp Channel and get the latest news and must-reads.

Thanks for sharing!

Read full news in source page