In another post he declared 'Tiocfaidh ár lá', a slogan often shouted by IRA defendants and their supporters in court during the Troubles
The former Man City midfielder avoided jail time despite being found guilty of assault following a two-day trial at Westminster Magistrates' Court.
The 42-year-old said he was “disappointed” with the verdict even though he avoided jail and was given a 12-week suspended prison sentence for the offence.
Taking to X he declared: “Really disappointed in the magistrate’s decision today. Especially, after a judge 2 and a half years ago in Wimbledon Magistrates ruled in my favour.
“I intend to appeal this decision to a higher court, the crown court and whilst this process is ongoing that’s all I will say on the matter.”
In another post he declared 'Tiocfaidh ár lá', a slogan often shouted by IRA defendants and their supporters in court during the Troubles.
Georgia Barton (36) was left with a “golf ball” sized-lump on her forehead and a bleeding nose after the attack in Kew, the court heard.
The court was told how the Bartons had been drinking with two other couples as their children slept upstairs, before an argument started.
Mrs Barton called 999 and said her husband had hit her, but later sent a letter retracting the statement.
In a tearful 999 call played to the court after the attack at the couple's west London home in June 2021, Mrs Barton said her husband “just hit me in the house”.
She was filmed on police body-worn cameras telling officers she had been “pushed down and kicked about” as her children slept upstairs.
Barton was arrested in his bedroom while still drunk on the night of the attack, Westminster Magistrates' Court was told.
He was then taken to a local police station where he gave a no-comment interview.
In February 2022, Mrs Barton wrote to the Crown Prosecution Service to say she no longer supported the case but the High Court decided last year that her husband should still face trial.
On Tuesday, magistrate Paul Goldspring described the ex-Man City and QPR player's story as "vague" and convicted him of assault after a two-day trial.
Prosecutor Helena Duong told the court Mrs Barton's 999 call to police on the night of the incident was "compelling evidence" of the assault, as she had described it in "clear terms".
The prosecutor said Mrs Barton's bloody nose was "an injury that really requires an explanation", adding: "It was, plainly, something not caused by an accident."
Barton previously told the court he admitted getting into an argument with his wife, but denied that anything "physical" had happened.
However, in convicting the ex-footballer, chief magistrate Goldspring said he believed Barton and his wife had lied to the court about what happened that night.
"I believe the veracity of the first account and it is supported by other evidence,” he said. “The account on the telephone in the 999 call and to the attending officer is true.
“I reject the account by Mrs Barton over eight months later and repeated in the witness box by her.”
The judge described a later explanation put forward by Mrs Barton, that she had sustained the injuries accidentally, as “unbelievable”.
He added the couple, who are still married, had contradicted themselves during their evidence in trial, because 'they were not being truthful about what happened'.
Sentencing shamed footballer Barton, Mr Goldspring told him: 'You've been found guilty of an offence of assaulting your wife.
“The one place your wife is entitled to feel safe and protected is her home, and the one person she is entitled to feel safe and protected by is you, and that's not what happened in this case.”