Arsenal and Liverpool target Alexander Isak has paused discussions with Newcastle after rejecting an initial contract offer, according to reports. The prolific Swede has been linked with a summer move away from St James' Park and is thought to be attracting no shortage of interest. Arsenal are widely believed to be keen on bringing him to north London at the end of the season.
Liverpool have also been linked with Isak amid the uncertainty over the immediate futures of Darwin Nunez and Mohamed Salah. Newcastle have made it clear they would like to keep the forward, who has scored 23 goals in all competitions this season. They have reportedly been in talks over a potential new contract, but those discussions are said to have been put on hold.
Isak did not accept Newcastle's initial proposal, according to CaughtOffside, leading to a breakdown in talks with the Magpies. They are now believed to be assessing their next move with club chiefs fully aware of the interest coming from Arsenal and Liverpool.
The forward remains tied down to Newcastle until 2028 and is not believed to have a release clause in his current deal. However, it has been reported that a huge nine-figure bid might be enough to force a move before the start of next season.
Newcastle are thought to be considering potential replacements, having identified Viktor Gyokeres as the ideal candidate. He is also said to be attracting interest from Manchester United, while Nottingham Forest were surprisingly linked earlier this month.
Isak, meanwhile, has repeatedly stated that he is not thinking about leaving Newcastle in spite of the apparent breakdown in talks over a new contract.
After scoring for the Magpies in the Carabao Cup final, he said: "There isn't much to say, really. I’ve commented on my situation and my security in Newcastle several times. It’s been written how much I love the city and the club, how well I feel.
"I’m not thinking about the future. I just want to perform for Newcastle. Now we won the cup, but we want to finish strong and qualify for the Champions League. That’s where my focus lies."
MORE TO FOLLOW
We'll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures, and video on this breaking news story.
Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow us on Twitter @DExpress_Sport - the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account - providing real news in real-time.
We're also on Facebook @DailyExpressSport - offering your must-see news, features, videos, and pictures throughout the day to like, comment, and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express, and Express.co.uk.