Trent Alexander-Arnold looks set to leave Liverpool for Real Madrid in the summer, and former Reds midfielder Danny Murphy has pointed the finger of blame at the club's owners
Comments
Sport
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - JANUARY 05: Trent Alexander-Arnold of Liverpool takes a throw in during the Premier League match between Liverpool FC and Manchester United FC at Anfield on January 05, 2025 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Alex Livesey - Danehouse/Getty Images)
Liverpool vice-captain Trent Alexander-Arnold looks set to join Real Madrid in the summer
(Image: Alex Livesey - Danehouse/Getty Images)
Ex-Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy has said the club's ownership should take the blame for the potential exit of Trent Alexander-Arnold. Reports surfaced on Tuesday suggesting that the Reds defender will join Real Madrid in the summer.
While Alexander-Arnold has not publicly announced that he is leaving Liverpool for Madrid, several outlets have reported that talks over a move are well in advance. With the full-back entering into the last year of his contract on Merseyside, supporters had braced themselves for the worst.
Article continues below
Since the news broke, the club's 26-year-old vice-captain has become the focal point of fans' frustration, particularly given the expectation that he could be headed to Spain on a free transfer.
However, Murphy is pointing fingers at Fenway Sports Group. Despite Alexander-Arnold having last committed to Liverpool in 2021, the ex-Red has questioned why an extension hasn't been proposed since, therefore enabling the club to cash in on the highly-rated defender instead of letting him walk away for nothing.
"Trent Alexander-Arnold is not at fault for leaving Liverpool on a free transfer; that is the fault of the club," Murphy expressed to Poker Firma, via the Mirror. "I can understand the disappointment from the fans for not getting money from the move, but you must be realistic.
"Trent could have been sold when he didn't sign a new deal last year or the year before that. In football, it's been known that if you have a player that is wanted or appreciated by other clubs, you look to secure them to a new deal when they have at least two years left on their contract.
"If the player doesn't want to sign a new deal, they'll likely be sold; the club must protect the asset. That's not always the case, but the football club has allowed not just this situation, but multiple situations where they could lose their best players and most valuable assets for nothing.
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - JANUARY 11: Trent Alexander-Arnold of Liverpool acknowledges the fans during the Emirates FA Cup Third Round match between Liverpool and Accrington Stanley at Anfield on January 11, 2025 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)
Alexander-Arnold is in the last few months of his contract with Liverpool(Image: Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)
"I can understand the frustration from the fans that one of their own is leaving. He's given everything to the club and he has won everything with Liverpool. You can't begrudge him the opportunity to go and do that at another club."
The news that Alexander-Arnold might be severing his 20-year association with Liverpool emerges amidst uncertainty over the futures of Mohamed Salah and Virgil van Dijk.
Both Salah and Van Dijk are also approaching the end of their contracts, with no news of progress on renewals so far. While there's still a chance the pair may remain on Merseyside, it seems Alexander-Arnold's time at Anfield is drawing to a close.
BBC pundit Danny Murphy
Danny Murphy believes Alexander-Arnold shouldnt take the blame
(Image: BBC Sport)
In September 2024, the Premier League champion remained tight-lipped about his future plans but did not commit to wearing red next season.
"Look, I have been at the club 20 years now, I have signed four or five contract extensions and none of those have been played out in public," he said.
Article continues below
"And this one won't be either. I want to be a Liverpool player this season is what I will say."