miamiherald.com

Jamaica prime minister endorses expansion of Haiti police as Kenyan-led mission struggles

Jamaica Prime Minister Andrew Holness said Wednesday that the escalating gang crisis in Haiti has reached a point that demands a rapid increase in the number of cops and equipment for the Haiti National Police to battle gangs that are on the verge of taking over the capital.

Ultimately, the Haiti National Police “has to take on the gangs,” he said. “The present holding situation that we have is not necessarily moving the situation forward as we would all like.”

Holness’ comments came amid growing anxiety in Haiti about a possible takeover of the capital by armed gangs amid conflicts within the country’s political transition government and its police hierarchy. He made the comment after a high-level meeting with Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who arrived in Kingston on Wednesday.

As part of his first official visit to the English-speaking Caribbean, Rubio is seeking feedback from leaders of the 15-member regional bloc known as CARICOM on the volatile situation in Haiti, which Holness described as a threat to regional security.

How much weight Holness and other Caribbean leaders’ views on Haiti carry with the Trump administration remains to be seen. But Rubio, recognizing that the current multinational security mission led by Kenya is not large enough to take on heavily armed gangs, is trying to drum up support in the region for funding that would allow the mission to expand.

In a separate discussion about Haiti on Wednesday sponsored by the World Bank, former Jamaica Prime Minister Bruce Golding said said the head of the mission recently also told him and two other former Caribbean prime ministers that he needs an additional 1,500 officers to be effective against gangs. Golding said he believes that number, which would put the force at 2,500, is still too low. He acknowledged that funding remains a challenge to put in place “an effective force, an overwhelming force” needed to defeat the gangs.

Golding said a former member of the Haiti’s ruling nine-member Transitional Presidential Council, which the Caribbean Community had helped create last year, had complained that CARICOM’s involvement bordered on interference.

Golding’s revelations underscore the challenges that an association of Caribbean elder statesmen known as the Eminent Persons Group, formed to help Haiti, has been facing.

On Wednesday morning four Democratic members of Congress sent a letter to Rubio urging him to prioritize the ongoing humanitarian and security crisis in Haiti during his visit to the Caribbean, which also includes stops Thursday in Guyana and Suriname.

“With violent gangs causing unimaginable human suffering in Haiti, and spillover impacts for regional stability and on Haitian-American communities, the United States simply cannot afford to pass up the opportunity to advance region-wide support for a Haitian-led solution to the current crisis,” the letter said. It’s signed by Reps. Gregory Meeks of New York and Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick of Florida, and Sens. Jeanne Shaheen of Missouri and Cory Booker of New Jersey.

The four lawmakers specifically mentioned the recent cuts to U.S. funding, including the dismantling of the U.S. Agency for International Development. They called the aid cuts “a gift to the violent gangs who have exploited the country’s political instability since the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse in 2021.

“We urge you to use this trip to the Caribbean to outline how the United States, and the State Department you lead, will galvanize the international community to allocate the necessary resources to stop the gangs and their elite enablers, and to help alleviate the human suffering in Haiti,” the lawmakers wrote. “The United States cannot sit on the sidelines of a crisis of this magnitude in our own region. Failure to act risks furthering the humanitarian crisis to the point where gangs control the entire capital, and the United States, along with its partners in the region, are responding to a mass migration event.”

The U.S. has been the main benefactor of the Kenya-led security mission. The Biden administration provided more than $600 million. Though the State Department has provided more than $40 million in waivers amid ongoing U.S. foreign aid freezes, it is unclear whether the Trump administration will continue funding the lion’s share when the mission comes up for renewal in October.

No Haiti policy

The Trump administration doesn’t have a clear foreign policy on Haiti, even as it ends immigration protections as of April 24 for more than 200,000 Haitians who were paroled into the U.S. under humanitarian benefits during the Biden administration.

Last month, United Nations Secretary General António Guterres ruled out transitioning the struggling Kenyan mission into an official U.N. peacekeeping mission and instead called for beefing up the current mission and using some of the U.N.’s budget to support salaries. The U.S. has yet to publicly weigh in on the proposal.

In a preview of the visit, Maurcio Claver-Carone, the administration’s envoy for Latin America and the Caribbean, told journalists on Tuesday that the administration is working on a new security strategy for Haiti but did not go into details.

Rubio’s trip, he said, was geared partly toward hearing the views “of our neighbors and our allies in the Caribbean in order to see what they believe is possible and how they can chip in and how they could work with us.”

Ongoing gang attacks

Miami Herald

305-376-2616

Jacqueline Charles has reported on Haiti and the English-speaking Caribbean for the Miami Herald for over a decade. A Pulitzer Prize finalist for her coverage of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, she was awarded a 2018 Maria Moors Cabot Prize — the most prestigious award for coverage of the Americas.

Read full news in source page