news.cgtn.com

Hamas spokesperson killed in Israeli air strike on N Gaza: media

![Smoke rises after an Israeli attack on Beit Lahia, Gaza, March 26, 2025. /VCG](https://news.cgtn.com/news/2025-03-27/news-1C4DtZt45gY/img/65de2a8e3a314e7f878e847a450f71d3/65de2a8e3a314e7f878e847a450f71d3.png)

Smoke rises after an Israeli attack on Beit Lahia, Gaza, March 26, 2025. /VCG

Smoke rises after an Israeli attack on Beit Lahia, Gaza, March 26, 2025. /VCG

Hamas spokesperson Abdul Latif al-Qanou has been killed in an Israeli air strike on northern Gaza, according to media report on Thursday.

al-Qanou was killed when his tent was targeted in Jabalia, Hamas-run Al-Aqsa TV said. The same strike wounded several people, while separate attacks killed at least six in Gaza City and one in southern Gaza's Khan Younis, medical sources said.

Earlier this week, the Israeli army killed Ismail Barhoum, a member of Hamas' political office, and Salah al-Bardawil, another senior leader.

Both Barhoum and al-Bardawil were members of the 20-member Hamas decision-making body, the political office, 11 of whom have been killed since the start of the conflict in late 2023, according to Hamas sources.

Last week, Israel ended a two-month-old ceasefire by resuming bombing and ground operations, increasing pressure on Hamas to free the remaining hostages in its captivity.

At least 830 people, over half of them women and children, have been killed since Israel resumed major military strikes in Gaza on March 18, according to Gaza's health ministry.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he ordered strikes because Hamas had rejected proposals to secure a ceasefire extension. He repeated threats on Wednesday to seize territory in Gaza if Hamas failed to release the remaining hostages it still holds.

(With input from agencies)

Read full news in source page